Carb and running questions

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
skelly
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by skelly »

If you had a running problem before and it has stood for 2 years then I suspect that you will have to bite the bullet and take the carbs off.
If you can get it running as is then go for it, miracles have been known to happen, if nothing else it will heat the rubbers slightly which will make it easier to get the carbs off.
If the carb to airbox rubbers are solid and useless then gsxr750 srad ones are a good fitting replacement.

Skel.
Take the best and make it better.
If it doesn't exist, invent it.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Thanks for the tip on the gsxr rubbers.
The bike does run ok as it has been regularly started and run up to temp.
Is it even worth spraying carb cleaner down inside with the slides open or would that be pointless
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

jas328sport wrote:Thanks for the tip on the gsxr rubbers.
The bike does run ok as it has been regularly started and run up to temp.
Is it even worth spraying carb cleaner down inside with the slides open or would that be pointless
So you may have no problems.
If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.
Try simple stuff first. Drain all the old fuel out. Refill with Shell V-Power. Clean out the air filter. Fire it up and take a test ride.
Keep on keepin' on.
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

Ooooops, forgot to mention, 1/3rd Wintergreen Oil 2/3rds Thinners
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Is there a recommended fuel additive to help with carbs that need a clean.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Bike is now on the road and runs very well considering how long it is since it was last used. The only problem I have is that idle is a bit lumpy so am going to fit a new set of plugs and get the cabs balanced as neither job has been done in many years.
Are these both easy jobs, plugs don't look very easy to get at from the front, is there an easy way to balance the carbs or am I best off letting the pro's do it.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

I was sort of in the same situation as you. I would clean the carbs first before attempting to balance and make sure that the manifold rubbers are in good condition. Otherwise you could be wasting time and money
The spark plugs are pretty easy to access. Once you take the air box off just need to remove the splash cover which the igntion coil pack are mounted to . I would also give the coils connections a good clean. I found also that my electrical connections to the ignition pack was corroded green. I had to give them a good clean. If you are riding all weather you might want to switch to coil sticks and make sure you waterproof your connections once clean.
here is a video of old boy changing them on a fzr1000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u101lX4DG9A