Fairing repair

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Pitbull
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Pitbull »

Where did you get it from
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Good to see the pensioners club putting their spare time to good use

Just need to fix Mikes Exup next :nod:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

MIKE, GET THAT FOOKIN BIKE FIXED!
AKA Bald headed b'stard
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

Stig wrote:MIKE, GET THAT FOOKIN BIKE FIXED!
Hi Paul, long time no see :(
Easy said that! If you look at Johns pictures you will see that my garage is pretty full. what you can't see is another complete EXUP alongside the crashed one!
In front of these, there's my S1000RR BMW, a massive 3 tier tool box, 3 push bikes and goodness knows what else :(
Unfortunately my crashed bike is really damaged with hardly anything surviving that cartwheel into that field over 2 years ago!
I keep thinking to myself, yes, I'll make a start of it, then find i still can't get the motivation to actually get on with the project. Another thing, there just isn't the room in the workshop to strip 2 EXUPs with all the other stuff that's in there!
The main thing is that I still have the bike, with enough parts to rebuild it. All I need is that much needed motivation, and who knows what might happen in the future :)

Anyway, on a happier note, I hope to see you, and some of the gang a little later in the year at the Lincoln meet. Unfortunately, I'll not be on the EXUP, not this year anyway.
Regards to everyone...... Mike AKA Roadrunner :)
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Nuggitt sez you can leave all your other bikes at his to make some room in your garage whilst you fix the Exup
He promises to take good care of them and might not even ride the BMW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you soon..... prob Lincoln!
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm willing to do that for my mate. His bikes will be well thrashed sorry I meant looked after in my care. :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Got the top half fairing back yesterday and it's looking a lot healthier now. Phil the painter as done a very good of matching up the colour. I'll fit it back on the bike over the weekend and take another photo.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

:nod:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by krazyneil »

you've inspired me to give it a go on my fzx rear fairing ,they have the same stuff under a different name at toolstation superfix I think couple quid dearer but I can collect
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Basically it's same as using baking powder and superglue from all the info I've read 👍
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Stig wrote:Basically it's same as using baking powder and superglue from all the info I've read 👍
That's exactly what Mike was telling me while we were doing the job. Mike seems to think there could be another ingredient involved but we don't know what? :nod:
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

This is what you can do with Plastex ;

Broken panel;

Make a mould from a good panel;

Little bit of finishing, cleaning up, job done;
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've been a bit busy as of late and I'd forgotten to add the repaired top half fairing to the thread. I'm happy with the work but when you add a new painted section to an old unpainted section you can always see the defining line. So that's prompted me to get the side panel repaired also. After the bike fell over onto the grass it made a bulge in the side panel. That's now in at the sprayersgetting sorted. The panel n the bike now is a spare one and its gone a slightly yellow colour. I suppose that's with age and sunlight.

Here's the finished top half fairing.

When I get the side panel back on Friday. I'll stick a photo up.

I picked up the repaired panel yesterday from the sprayers. As usual he's made a lovely job of it.

What's next? :lol:
Last edited by nuggitt on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

It may just be the photo but the new paint looks a very different and brighter solid colour.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

The panel that's getting repaired is a better match with the top half fairing. This is the trouble when you try to mix and match. :nod: