Introduction?

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Introduction?

Post by Graham Crayon »

Thought I should introduce myself as I've been registered on here since 2010! I absolutely love Yamahas, own a 1987 FZ 750, a 2001Fazer 1000, and a 1994 Exup 1000. The exup being a donor bike for my next project which is a steel trellis framed low rider type thing which is destined for the drag strip. My local strip, Shakespeare county raceway or Avon park as I'm used to calling it looks to be closing for good this year so will be making the trip to Santa Pod when im ready.
I have my own forum for the FZ 750 but wont bore you with that.
I used to drive lorries for a living, used to fit car windows, used to run a removal firm. I now fit kitchens, bathrooms, double glazing etc.
Got my fingers crossed that I'll be in a position to buy the Exup thats for sale on this very forum in the next few months. It wont go down well with my wife but then nothing I do ever does. :rolleyes:
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome in Graham.

Sounds like you're going to very busy with one thing and another. Keep surprising the wife with flowers and chocs. You'll be getting a good bike if you buy Andy B's bike.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Thanks mate. Yes its Andy b's bike I've got my eye on. Need to get my arse back to work so I can pay for it.
Cheese_butty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Cheese_butty »

Welcome, however it should really be the other way round as I only registered in November...
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Hiya cheese butty. I might have registered 7 years ago but didn't have an exup at the time so kept my gob shut until now. I had my Fazer back then but didn't think it worthy of this site. On the subject of Fazers I would highly recommend one if your having problems with your back. I used to (& probably still would) suffer with bad back, neck, wrists etc on most of my old sports bikes. Fazer put a stop to all that. Best bike I've had to date. Give us a shout if you fancy trying one on for size.
Cheese_butty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Cheese_butty »

Hi Graham,
I have considered the FZS as a possible replacement, however some consider its lack of torque, low down, lets it down. EXUPs are [when correctly adjusted] a joy at low RPM, even though they're a tub of lard - what do you think? It's true that in my case, the lower back is going to force me to do something, but I'm being very circumspect until then. I'm hanging onto rapidly disappearing middle-age...
As for having a go, are you in on Friday July 13th, in the afternoon? We should be going to Fairford air display and go past your neck of the woods from up north. Just a thought.
Regards,
Chris
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Bit too far into the future for me to know what I'm doing but message me closer to the time & we can sort something out.
Not sure where you got the idea from that it's not a torquey engine. If anything I'd say the opposite is true. I have an Ivan's jet kit fitted to mine with a slight modification to the air box & the inlet stubs which helps the top end power. It pull well in any gear at any revs to be honest.
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

Got to agree with Graham here, (Welcome mate) the FZS1000 Gen1, especially with a properly sorted full monty Ivans kit, is the business and far better than our esteemed FZRs. (Sorry - but hey, it's still an exup!!!)
The Fazer pulls like a train in any gear, better than my FZR.
But I love the lineage, with the FZR1000exup being the daddy of them all.
That's why I still have my own Exup, (94 Foxeye) and would happily have another FZS1000 when I find the right one, just a bit busy in the garage right now.
And they're holding their price well, somewhat rising too.
Go for one Chris, you'll not regret it. Comfort for serious all day touring and scratches with the best of them, scared myself silly on the Queens Way from New Galloway West and through the Galloway forest park in Dumfries.
Go for it!
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

Wotcha and welcome!!
Cheese_butty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Cheese_butty »

Thanks for those words, chaps. It seems I may have to consider one more seriously. Tried to peddle the old girl around the shed a bit and I think I'll have to call my physician. I'm so loathed to get rid, but it looks inevitable. I think I'd like an ABS one, so I guess that's post 2006, or am I mixing that up with VFR800s? Anyway, I'd still like a razz on one before decision time. Cheers.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Mine is an early one with steel frame. All i know about the later ones is that they shift, fuel consumption is rough & they probably wouldn't be much more comfortable than your exup. 😭
Cheese_butty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Cheese_butty »

OK, understood. More in-depth information-noodling required. These long winter nights just melt away.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Early Fazer 1000 is generally referred to as the thinking mans R1. Meaning he was probably thinking about getting a R1 but remembered he was in his late 40's & couldn't ride one for much more than half an hour at a time! 😂
Cheese_butty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Cheese_butty »

Ha! I was that plantpot in his 40s who bought the EXUP!