Fuel Pump Service and Hack Mod

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Fuel Pump Service and Hack Mod

Post by redapple »

Over Xmas my fuel pump was playing up it wasn't prime properly. Left me stranded and that was not nice :(

Did a voltage check and when tuning the ignition switch with probes plugged into the connector the multimeter gave me 12v, so I thought I would give a shot at fixing / service the pump.

The main culprit was the pump points as once cleaned and touching I got continuity between the positive and ground. I also added a Hack to prevent excessive arcing coming off the points.

here you wish to read more about the pump hack follow the link. it breaks it down.

http://hankeln.net/freizeit/nt650v5/fue ... de_en.html

So first thing to do it is remove the pump from the bike. Then undo the little brass screw on the cover . When you open it up you should have something like this

I have marked the positive wire with red circles and the ground/negative with a green circle. The red circles is where you want to connect your diode if you want to do the hack/mod.

In the next picture you will see the pump points, if you look close enough you might be able to see how dark the points are.

the next step is to clean the points. A simple emery finger file will do. you don't need to aggressive just need to a 10-20 swipes and it should be shiny again. Pictures Below

If you want to do the hack/mod you will need to buy silicon diode 1N4007 . they are 99p off ebay for a pack of 10.

Make sure you solder it the right way round, the grey solid circle should be soldered to the incoming wire, I also used a pliers to conduct heat away from the diode when soldering. Also you want the diode to be higher than the joints so the cover can go back on easily. When done you should have something like below

I then used resin to insulate the connections to prevent a short circuit. Picture Below.

Leave the resin to dry or you can use a glue gun if you are in a rush.

re-assemble and re-install on the bike.

If you want to see how to hack works, you can watch the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABd-Leis9xw
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Great how-to and thanks for sharing. I'll save it when I get on the main PC and hopefully one day put it in the tech section on the main site
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

Great post - nice tip that :thumbsup:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've got a spare fuel pump so I'll have a go at that. It'll stop me pacing up and down the living room waiting for Spring to arrive. :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Plenty to do at mine if you're bored
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Stig wrote:Plenty to do at mine if you're bored
You should have it all done now lad after 12 months. What you playing about at!! :lol: :p
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.