No spark with FZR 1000 engine

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

No spark with FZR 1000 engine

Post by Graham Crayon »

Hello chaps. I have fitted a pre-exup FZR 1000 Genesis engine to my FZ 750 recently but im getting no spark. I have tried both the FZR igniter box & then the FZ one when i realised there was an extra wire in the FZR loom for the FZR igniter plug. It was getting very cold by the time I made this discovery so haven't really checked anything out yet. Everything else is working fine, starter motor, ignition, lights etc.
The bike ran with a 750 engine fitted & the FZR 1000 engine ran fine before i removed it.
Is there a fuse that might cause this?
Im fishing for ideas of what to check the next time i go out to it.
Thanks in advance.
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I assume it's turning over. Is there power to and from the kill switch?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Yes turns over on the starter fine. Kill switch is good. Cuts power to fuel pump. I was thinking maybe the earth strap from block to battery but then nothing else would work if that wasn't playing the game.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Update. No idea what I did but my bike is running now. Battery was on trickle charger for a few days but don't think that was the cause. I checked a few fuses, clicked the fuel switch to reserve & that's about all I did. Ran rough initially but today I stripped & cleaned the carbs then balanced them when back on the bike. Starts & revs up lovely now. Next job is to free off the clutch then investigate the tight spot when the rear wheel turns.
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

Wish mine fixed itself !!!!!!! 🤨
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Lol it's a first for me mate. Tight spot on rear wheel is gone with rear caliper off so that needs stripping & cleaning. I just hope the disc isn't warped.
Got a few rust issues inside the tank & sticking clutch still but it's looking good for this summer. :D