Pi$$ing Petrol

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Should know better
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Should know better »

Just a quick thought its not the float needle thats worn is it- not seating and letting the petrol past?

Good luck
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It could be a bit of crap in the float valve holder, it doesn't take much to stop it seating properly. I'd also check your float heights again. They're a pain I know but needs must! :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It's usually the float valve that stick. As the float bowls fill up so their full the float valve should close and f there's a bit of sh!t in there it wont close hence fuel running out of over flow pipe. I had a lot of trouble with my carbs this year and I had mine off seven times to try to get it sorted. Now that was a BIG pain. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I did this rough video a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_tLykicBY4

Tip the carbs forward till the float bowls drop forward then tip them back slowly till they just rest on the float valves and then use your cut out credit/debit card to adjust the height with.

Have you checked to see if the float valve springs haven't worn like in the photos? These can cause problems. :nod:

matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

Float valve springs worn, 4 on order, saga continues !!!!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Jolly good. Progress in the making. :) When you get the new ones check them first to see if they hold up the float straight as in photo. I bought some new ones this year because I was having fun sorting my carbs out. When I fitted them and held them up to see if they were holding up the float they were all just on the limit. :mad:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

PMA matey, PMA. Positive mental attitude and you'll get there in the end. My carbs are not quite how I want them so I will be putting a post up soon to pick peoples brains. :lol:
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

Had the wrong Float Needles delivered 😫
PMA ??????
PMA !!!!!!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Oh bugger!! :crybaby:
nismo
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by nismo »

Did you get it sorted? Had a similar problem with my Ace and I got really grumpy with it.
Defected for that V Twin goodness
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

Still waiting for correct float needles to arrive.
Chomping at the bit !!!!!
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

New Float Needles in, height set, NO MORE PI$$ING PETROL 🤗

Re-balanced carbs (complete faff) still running on 3 cylinders 🤔
Have new plugs in there (coil has been swapped over)
Duff plug ?????
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Could be blocked idle circuit. Had that on mine last time it was laid up
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Try taking the plug on the non-running pot out and see if it's wet. As you said, might be a bad plug or plug cap.

Good liuck!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I still think its some crap that's blocking a hole somewhere and like stig says it could be on the idle circuit. They are a pain in the arse I know. I've got 3 fuel filters fitted on my bike and I had crap getting through somehow. Are you spraying the jets with carb cleaner and blasting air through with a compressor? That does usually shift whatever is in there. Keep going matey you'll crack it in the end. Anyway its to bloody cold to be going for a ride. :thumbsup: :nod: