Nuggit thinks I'm a hooligan but................

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Nuggit thinks I'm a hooligan but................

Post by Teego »

Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

What do you mean "thinks"? :lol:

Nice one young lady. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Reminds me of a certain Matlock meet... 👍
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego

Post by Teego »

Stig wrote:Reminds me of a certain Matlock meet... 👍
This? When??????????????????

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/meets/thegathering_040606.htm
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

From memory it was the one where we met up at J27 then up M1 and along A38. Things got a bit quick to say the least :ninja: :evil:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego

Post by Teego »

Stig wrote:From memory it was the one where we met up at J27 then up M1 and along A38. Things got a bit quick to say the least :ninja: :evil:
Here are the pix. Lot of gray hair and baldness 11 years ago!!!!!!!!!

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/meets/images/ ... allery.htm
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Some nice pictures there and it looked a good ride out. It was nice of stig to get his haircut for the ride out. :lol: :p

It puts our ride's out to Lincoln look like a trip to the shops. :lol: :lol:

I'm just wondering about the speeds you were doing 11 years ago. Could it be possible to do an identical ride out say tomorrow, what with all the eyes (camera's) watching you everywhere?

When we go for rides out around in our neck of the woods and frequently do silly speeds, we start to feel a bit paranoid :paranoid: :paranoid: because the fuzz use cunning disguises to catch you out. They are now using tuned up normal cars with camera's in which you wouldn't expect to be a cop car. :mad: :mad:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Teego

Post by Teego »

nuggitt wrote: I'm just wondering about the speeds you were doing 11 years ago. Could it be possible to do an identical ride out say tomorrow, what with all the eyes (camera's) watching you everywhere?

When we go for rides out around in our neck of the woods and frequently do silly speeds, we start to feel a bit paranoid
You're not paranoid John. They really are out to get you. We have plenty of Secret Dibbles here in Derbyshire, which is why Lincolnshire is better for a good day out.

Our speed that day ranged from "interesting" up the Via Gellia to "making good progress in a competitive fashion" over the verandah at the Cat & Fiddle.

These days I think you have to know your route and risk zones inside out and if possible do a sighting lap. I wrote this article in 2007 which may explain the scene back then:

The popular Cat and Fiddle circuit lies on the A537 between Macclesfield and Buxton. It was constructed at taxpayer's expense and is, therefore, open 24/7 and admission is free for riders and spectators.

This is a technical course with few top speed straights - Cadwell regulars will quickly find their pace while those more used to Donington will have to adjust their technique, or else. The layout has been designed to exploit the handling features of racing machines not just absolute power. It is particularly well suited to lightweight classes and supermotards.

Safety features are limited. The sheep are protected by stout Armco and old established dry stone walls. However they do not always seek out this protection, especially in the lambing season. Circuit users must fend for themselves. There is a strict speed limit of 50mph when marshalls or the safety car are on the track.

Service and paddock areas are thoughtfully provided at the Cat and Fiddle Inn at the highest point on the track and Tesco's at Macclesfield.

Safety, scrutineering and marshalling services are contracted out to Cheshire Constabulary. Again, these services are free to participants unless they are caught breaking the rules. The safety car is easily identified as a yellow and blue checked Volvo T5 Estate. Marshalls normally wear high visibility jackets and white helmets and patrol the course on similarly coloured Pan Europeans or BMWs. Unfortunately budget cuts mean that some marshall's bikes have not yet been painted and their high viz jackets have not arrived. You should still be able to identify them by their white helmets, dark clothing and upright posture.

From time to time Cheshire Constabulary also provides pace cars to verify that contestants skill levels are suitable for the circuit. These are always unmarked but high performance vehicles such as BMW 330 saloons. Check for the multiple radio aerials.

Media services are provided by the circuit's purpose equipped aeroplane which is capable of low speed flight over the track for extended periods. Live reports and high quality video coverage are passed to Race Control and edited highlights can be replayed later.

New riders are warned that, like its sister circuit the Nurburgring, the Cat and Fiddle is open to all vehicles. Apart from other bike and car racers you may encounter caravans, tractors, quarry lorries and Hyundai Effluents.

On arrival at the track you should carry out normal pre-race checks before making a sighting lap. The sighting lap will let you check that the track is clear of obstructions such as oil, mud or animals; establish the location of marshalls, the safety car and any pace cars; and warm up your tyres.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Great read. Can't remember seeing that before :evil:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I never new it was used as a race track. I've been looking at it with google earth and I see what you mean about the verandah, it does look like the one on the IOM. :nod:

I'm sure I've done that run to the Cat and Fiddle before but it was many moons ago?? We all had a ride down to Matlock (before pay and display) and then we went on to Buxton, then on to the Cat and Fiddle road. Going by what I've seen on google earth I think it's time they resurfaced the road. It looks sh1te in places. :lol: :lol:
Teego

Post by Teego »

nuggitt wrote:I never new it was used as a race track. I've been looking at it with google earth and I see what you mean about the verandah, it does look like the one on the IOM. :nod:

I'm sure I've done that run to the Cat and Fiddle before but it was many moons ago?? We all had a ride down to Matlock (before pay and display) and then we went on to Buxton, then on to the Cat and Fiddle road. Going by what I've seen on google earth I think it's time they resurfaced the road. It looks sh1te in places. :lol: :lol:
They have abandoned the idea of paying for on street parking at Matlock.
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Teego wrote:
nuggitt wrote:I never new it was used as a race track. I've been looking at it with google earth and I see what you mean about the verandah, it does look like the one on the IOM. :nod:

They have abandoned the idea of paying for on street parking at Matlock.
Well that's good to know. Next year I may venture down that way but I'll have to do a route where I don't use motorways, mind you it could take me a couple of days to get there using A roads. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

nuggitt wrote: Well that's good to know. Next year I may venture down that way but I'll have to do a route where I don't use motorways, mind you it could take me a couple of days to get there using A roads. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You could always drop by mine and I can show you the back way in via some sweeping B roads :unibrow:

If progress continues like it is doing with my projects, I'll definitely be getting the bike ready for the start of the season
Bet the sodding thing will run like shit again :paranoid: :\ :\ :\
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego

Post by Teego »

Stig wrote: You could always drop by mine and I can show you the back way in :unibrow:

If progress continues like it is doing with my projects, I'll definitely be getting the bike ready for the start of the season
Bet the sodding thing will run like shit again :paranoid: :\ :\ :\
Careful about your invitations Paul. You'll have him polishing your helmet next.
Of course your bike's going to run like a one-legged dachsund, if it runs at all. You gotta use it. My 05 Gixer has over 40k on the clock, starts first time and goes like ................ well it can scare the crap out of me.
I sold my Foxeye with 50k on the clock. Never had a major problem.
I always get some decent mileage on every year because......Sunday is my time and I cook a great dinner when I get back.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Totally agree mister...it'll run crap coz its not been used. I did fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer before putting it away in September 2015. I removed the battery and put the bike in its vacbag

Probably have my work cut out trying to get it started. Only positive is the battery appears to be good still
AKA Bald headed b'stard