Fuel pump

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Ricoshey
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Fuel pump

Post by Ricoshey »

Hello I'm new to this forum and I was hope for some help with a few things..I have bought a off road buggy that has got a fzr1000 engine in place...can I gravity feed the carbs does anybody know,I know the bike runs a pump but is this purely because the tank outlet is lower than the carbs...?also I have a starting issue,starter spins but doesn't engage..anyone had this problem?any help would be greatly appreciated
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

i would keep the pump, its a big bike and it drinks a fair bit of juice, you dont necessarily have to run the relay if you want, you can just have it wired in to a switched live feed.

as for your starter, your starter spins and engages a series of gears that culminate in your starter sprag clutch, this via a chain is what turns your crank.

i would first check the condition of your starters teeth and make sure that its turning correctly. i would then see if you can inspect the teeth on the gear that the motor engages with...if they all look good then its possibly your sprag clutch and thats a lot of work as its the first component installed in the engine, it will require you to remove the barrels and split the cases to get access to it, so rule everything else out before going down that route :D
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Ricoshey
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Ricoshey »

I haven't got the pump..I could buy one.would the pump not burn out if it was running all the time..?
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

never known one to fail on a race bike with a stripped down loom...

the diaphragm pumps cant pump against a pressure gradient anyways, so they cut out if the back pressure gets too high (i.e. your float bowls are full).

the only reason for running a cdi-based fuel relay is longer life from the fuel pump...but thats for a road bike expected to do 100,000 miles.

i would be more concerned about your starter issues, hopefully its just the motor teeth/something simple, if its a sprag clutch you might be easier to buy a replacement engine and run that whilst you fix the sprag clutch (you can still buy the parts OEM).
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles