Engine in or out(valve shim)

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
DEVO.RU
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Engine in or out(valve shim)

Post by DEVO.RU »

Hi.just wondering is it awkward doing the valve shims with the engine in situ?
I've no problem whipping the motor out to do them
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

I found it easier engine out but I am not quite as deft of approach as some of the owners on here :)
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

We did mine in situ but it was a bit awkward in places what with the frame being in the way on #1 & #4 cyl. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
DEVO.RU
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by DEVO.RU »

Thanks,reckon it would make life much easier to whip it out.something to get stuck into over the winter 👍🏻
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

It's a lot of work to remove the engine just for doing the shims. Better to at least measure the clearances & if they don't need doing then it'll be less faff.

But it was an easy job to do on not only my Exup but also my R1 if the radiator is unmounted & pulled forward. There's no need to pull the carbs but it does make it easier. On my Exup the biggest job was aligning the crank on the marker & then getting the cam timing right. This was more of a faff than any other procedure.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

easiest way to do the cam timing is to use a bit of marker pen/nail polish and put a tiny mark on your chain and on your cams, as long as you dont then rotate your crank (which you should be able to do) you just re-align your marks and your good to go...
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

That's the way Mike and I did it banner. Makes the job a lot easier. We used tippex fluid. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.