bubbling in expansion tank

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
dannyrok
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

bubbling in expansion tank

Post by dannyrok »

Hello all
The last 2 -3 times ive been out on short run and bike has got hot .i can hear bubbling from exp tank.
The fan is kicking in when it should. I have been advised to check radiator cap and told it might be my head gasket...
If it is head gasket what should I be looking for?

Many Thanks
danny :)
Whoops there goes another bit :)

1991 FZR1000 ru exup
dannyrok
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

bubbling

Post by dannyrok »

Nice one ..

If it is the head.it will have to wait. christmas and all that to pay for first :)

I'm hoping its the thermostat but hav'nt had time to check that yet.

Thanks
danny

1991 FZR1000 ru exup
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Check rad cap..... common suspect!
AKA Bald headed b'stard
dannyrok
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

bubblin

Post by dannyrok »

Nice one Stig..does the seal go or the spring ..been wet here all day again but hope to get on it tom.starting at the cap.

Thanks
danny

1991 FZR1000 ru exup
dannyrok
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

bubblin

Post by dannyrok »

ps its only bubbling when it gets hot.cant see any when its cold

danny

1991 FZR1000 ru exup
dannyrok
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

bubbling solved

Post by dannyrok »

Well done Mr Stig..fitted a new cap and all good so far..ran it hot and no bubbling...Have to wait till tom as it got dark and couldn't see to put panels back on :)

Thanks a lot everyone
danny

1991 FZR1000 ru exup
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I had a similar problem this morning. Went to go out on the bike & suddenly there was a puddle under the bike. I couldn't see where it was coming from so whipped off the fairing lowers to try & see if it was leaking from the thermostat housing or elsewhere. I did remove the rad cap & it didn't seem that tight. I cleaned the rubber sealing areas & then topped up the expansion tank to just over the lower level line.
After starting up the engine & leaving it to tick over the temp needle approached the red marker & the fan cut in. I left it until the fan had cut in twice before switching off. With no signs of any leakage onto the floor I gave up the idea of going out for a ride on the FZR-R & took the R1 instead, leaving the misses to make apple crumble for supper.

Going to get another rad cap first. I don't suspect the head gasket.

I did replace the head gasket quite a few years ago. I tilted the engine forward, pivoting on the lower rear engine mount & supporting the sump plate. It was easy to remove the head & barrels in this way & saved having to drop the complete engine. It was easier to shim the valves with the head on the bench as well, after lapping in each valve & replacing the guide seals.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk