Clutch cover removal sealant problem

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Clutch cover removal sealant problem

Post by redapple »

Hi

Looking for some advice/Help. Planning to replace my clutch over the bank holiday and drill some extra holes in the clutch basket to help oil transfer on my 1995.

While looking at the clutch cover I noticed the previous owner has used Sealant round the clutch cover. From experience were sealant has been used before I know this is a pain in the arse to remove.

I was hoping if anyone has any advice or tips. I have heard that you can use a dead blow hammer to brake the seal between cover and case but not sure if this will damage the dowels?

any help much appreciated. pictures attached.

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

That type of sealant is usually low modulus so although it seals well it's not like the nightmare stuff you find in bathrooms etc. The LM stuff can usually be rubbed away with your fingers
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

Gentle use of the hammer will be enough to dislodge it I would have thought - you only tap it not hit it hard enough to damage the dowels, I get my lad to agitate it with the hammer whilst I pull on the cover as teh old gaskets can stick quite firmly
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

Thank you for the advice

Will give it a try
Pitbull
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Pitbull »

If you cant get it off with rubbing your fingers along it, use a blade to scrap it off,
Use carb/brake cleaner to clean both parts