Plug leads

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Plug leads

Post by vigevar »

Hi All

I want to replace the HT leads , they look as though they've already been shortened an the plug cap doesn't screw in very well but there's not enough length to cut any more off. Do the leads screw onto the coils or are they molded on ??

Cheers
If it ain't broke, it's only a matter of time
exupbloke
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by exupbloke »

Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

me to
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Plug leads

Post by vigevar »

Thanks guy's. I wish I could say I understood it :retard: I have a 1990 1000R which has two coils, did you replace the coils and plug caps with Honda bits ?

Cheers
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

You're a bit like me when it comes to electrics. From what I've read, you get rid of those big bulky coils and plug caps and you plug the stick coil connectors in to the existing old coil plugs/ yellow and white connector plugs. Once youve done the conversion of course. I'm fancying on having a go at it. I'm on the lookout for the items to do it with. So don't go pinching the ones I'm watching. :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

Yes you remove the old x2 coils and with a bit of soldering connect the new loom with the yam connectors from the old coils onto the new loom (I used Yam R6 items)
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Plug leads

Post by vigevar »

Ah, makes a bit more sense now :nod: :nod:

Much appreciated
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

+ 1

Just finished fitting the stick coils to the bike this morning. I can't have a test ride because it's peeing it down here AGAIN

BIG thanks to Jay for his expert help with his better version of HOW TO DO IT. Also thanks to oldskool for his knowledge too. I'm no electrician but it was easy to convert the wiring etc. No more big boat anchors (coils) and plug caps and HT leads playing up etc.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

result - just need a bit of cable wrap to finish the job
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Yes I need to get that spaghetti wrapped up. :lol:
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

This is what I used

CLICK HERE
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Thanks for that Jay. I have been looking for something like that but couldn't locate any. Just bought some. :thumbsup:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It's a wrap!! All tidied up now Jay. To be honest I think I've used a bit too much wire, but I wanted to be sure everything went where it should.

All we need now is some bloody decent weather to get out and about. I'm wearing the carpet out here pacing up and down the lounge looking out of the front and back windows. Grrrr :mad: Going mental I am. :mad:

oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

John. What's the non adhesive cable wrap you used like.......I may need some for a couple of refurbs and wondered if it was a recommended????
:nod:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Its very good and holds on very well. I used a little bit of the normal sticky insulation tape just to hold the first bit on at the beginning and a bit at the end. :nod: