Rear Wheel Bearings

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by Enduro_Rider »

Hi all

Just found a slight wobble in the rear wheel on my 89 exup.

I've replaced numerous bearings in my KTM off road wheels but I've never replaced any exup ones so I am looking for any tips or any assistance on how to replace them?

Cheers
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

If you've done other wheels, the exup should pose you no problem.
There's a big bearing in the sprocket carrier which may as well be replaced at the same time, besides the two bearings in the rear wheel itself.
Don't forget to put the spacer back in the wheel between the two new bearings (I've never done that :retard: )
Besides supporting the wheel rim safely somehow (wooden blocks) so it doesn't get damaged, the hardest bit is finding a drift (big screwdriver) long enough to poke through the first bearing, twist and lever it about a bit to displace the spacer inside a little, revealing a lip on which you can then tap the other bearing out, tapping many points evenly all round that bearing you're hitting so as not to jam it in one position.
Put the new bearings in the freezer the night before too and get 'em out just as your ready to fit 'em.
I tend to use the old bearing to use as a drift to initially seat the new bearing, but once it's in too far, resort to a big socket that suitably covers the outer cage of the new bearing without getting stuck.
Hope this makes sense and by the sounds of it, you've got the confidence to give it a go :nod:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

Oh and do a proper job with new seals all round, ain't worth trying to replace the old ones :)
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Another good tip is. Try to get bearings with the soft plastic type seal and not the metal seal ones. Then gently prise the seal off with a sharp tool. Don't tear or cut the seal if you can. Once the seal is off then pack the bearings with more grease, because they never put much in at the factory. The bearings will last a lot longer if you do.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Enduro_Rider »

BONLY1 wrote:If you've done other wheels, the exup should pose you no problem.
There's a big bearing in the sprocket carrier which may as well be replaced at the same time, besides the two bearings in the rear wheel itself.
Don't forget to put the spacer back in the wheel between the two new bearings (I've never done that :retard: )
Besides supporting the wheel rim safely somehow (wooden blocks) so it doesn't get damaged, the hardest bit is finding a drift (big screwdriver) long enough to poke through the first bearing, twist and lever it about a bit to displace the spacer inside a little, revealing a lip on which you can then tap the other bearing out, tapping many points evenly all round that bearing you're hitting so as not to jam it in one position.
Put the new bearings in the freezer the night before too and get 'em out just as your ready to fit 'em.
I tend to use the old bearing to use as a drift to initially seat the new bearing, but once it's in too far, resort to a big socket that suitably covers the outer cage of the new bearing without getting stuck.
Hope this makes sense and by the sounds of it, you've got the confidence to give it a go :nod:
Thanks for the help! I didnt realise there are 3 bearings in the wheel as ive only ordered 2. link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281073523809

What other bearing do I need to buy?

Cheers all
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

It's the sprocket carrier bearing you 'need' to ensure you've done a proper job, may as well do that bearing at same time to be sure.
O/E part no. is 93306-30562-00
Or search ebay for 'sprocket carrier bearing fzr 1000' - there are loads of aftremarket on there but ensure you get one for 89-95 models, not earlier genesis.
Perhaps the supplier in your link for the other two does that bearing too?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

You'll need one of these. Item number 252433139104 on eBay
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Enduro_Rider »

BONLY1 wrote:It's the sprocket carrier bearing you 'need' to ensure you've done a proper job, may as well do that bearing at same time to be sure.
O/E part no. is 93306-30562-00
Or search ebay for 'sprocket carrier bearing fzr 1000' - there are loads of aftremarket on there but ensure you get one for 89-95 models, not earlier genesis.
Perhaps the supplier in your link for the other two does that bearing too?
thanks! Bearing delivered and ready to fit!
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Enduro_Rider »

nuggitt wrote:Another good tip is. Try to get bearings with the soft plastic type seal and not the metal seal ones. Then gently prise the seal off with a sharp tool. Don't tear or cut the seal if you can. Once the seal is off then pack the bearings with more grease, because they never put much in at the factory. The bearings will last a lot longer if you do.

Thanks Nuggitt

Ill hopefully do this over the weekend - replace and pack them up full of grease! That is if i get time......... Jobs from the Mrs etc,,,, :mad:
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Enduro_Rider »

Enduro_Rider wrote:
nuggitt wrote:Another good tip is. Try to get bearings with the soft plastic type seal and not the metal seal ones. Then gently prise the seal off with a sharp tool. Don't tear or cut the seal if you can. Once the seal is off then pack the bearings with more grease, because they never put much in at the factory. The bearings will last a lot longer if you do.

Thanks Nuggitt

Ill hopefully do this over the weekend - replace and pack them up full of grease! That is if i get time......... Jobs from the Mrs etc,,,, :mad:
Hi all

Managed to get the bearings fitted today! Thanks for the help chaps. Much appreciated......