Starting to get grumpy

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I too am thinking the same as Stig. Don't get angry but I think you're going to have to take them off again. :mad:

When I lived in afar away land I had to take the chuffin things off three times before I got it to run properly.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nismo
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by nismo »

Jay762 wrote:
nismo wrote:
Are the emulsion tubes the tubes above the pilot jets? Little brass ones with holes in the side? Gave them a good blast through but don't know how to tell if they need replacing
The emulsion tubes are the ones the needle goes into - where the fuel gets drawn up through into the main body of the carb
Ah, cool, cheers Jay
Defected for that V Twin goodness
nismo

Post by nismo »

nuggitt wrote:I too am thinking the same as Stig. Don't get angry but I think you're going to have to take them off again. :mad:

When I lived in afar away land I had to take the chuffin things off three times before I got it to run properly.
Well trying to be positive, at least it shouldn't require any more new parts, so will try that next, thanks guys. It has been a learning experience doing this, most of all I have learned that I hate working on my own vehicles! Though going to have to convince Mrs Nismo to help again, not enough room in there to get my big meathooks in to undo the clamps on the carb rubbers. At least my Haynes manual has turned up now so got a bit of reference material instead of doing it blind again.

So it is carbs off, strip and clean jets again, remove pilot screw clean, and generally spray carb cleaner in every hole I can find :eek: then reassemble, refit and adjust the pilot screws? Any recommendations on how best to do this? Manuals are saying 3 turns out on each carb, is that it? Some other places are on about setting the tickover, then adjusting #1 until it settles at the highest rpm, reset the idle, then do the same on #2 and so on
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

I would be tempted to renew the air screw assemblies (unless you have done that already).
The problem can be the little O-rings not sealing due to wear/age.
Not always obvious by just looking at them.
Replacing them sorted a similar issue on my bike.
Good luck.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

A little tip for you. When you get all the jets out make sure you don't mix them. Keep all the parts you take out to go with that carb etc.

Another tip is get a thin pieceof fusewire and run it through the holes in the jets carefully. I had a bit of lacquer once in one of the jets and when you looked in the jet hole up towards the sky it looked clear but when you blew through the hole a very small piece (like a flap of skin) appeared. A gentle poke about with the fuse wire and it came away from the edge of the jet. It was sorted after that. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Thanks guys. I think because there is no chance that I'll be able to look at it during the week (work is a 130 mile commute each way at present) and if I spend another weekend on it, Mrs Nismo will murder me, plus it's my birthday this weekend, it's going to be better to put it in somewhere. The nice chaps at two wheel workshop / racing are going to have a look at it for me.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Rather than starting a new thread, might as well carry on with this one!

Thunderace is going in tomorrow to finally get these carbs sorted. I know, with help from you guys I probably could have done it myself, but seriously, if I had to strip it down again at the moment I'd really loose my rag with it.

Anyway, on a more positive note, once she is back I'm hoping that when running right, I'll quickly fall back in love with the big black beast and stop being tempted by these younger italians. If that is the case and I devide to keep her, would any of you fine gentlemen happen to know what the spacing is between the carbs? :unibrow:
exupbloke
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by exupbloke »

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=c ... _plugs_mod

best thing i ever done to my exup, sorted loads of 3 cylinder running issues
nismo

Post by nismo »

Hmmmmm, now that is interesting! Will have a thorough read through of that and see what will fit the ace. Was seriously considering some 40mm mikuni flatslides, but it is looking like other priorities have taken over :crybaby:
exupbloke
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by exupbloke »

i bought a set of exup coils off ebay for cheap, and used them for the wiring connector blocks. saves wasting your coils if you ever went back to standard set up. :)
nismo

Post by nismo »

After all that, it turns out it was a buggered float valve not cutting off and flooding #3 at low revs, so that's fixed, carbs have been balanced and ready to pick up!!! :drunk: :FU:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Said it sounded like carb issue :nod:

Glad you got it sorted
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nismo

Post by nismo »

Am just happy it is fixed. Picking her up on friday, so now it's running right it hopefully won't take long to reconnect and start planning the next round of upgrades!
Teego

Post by Teego »

nismo wrote:Am just happy it is fixed. Picking her up on friday, so now it's running right it hopefully won't take long to reconnect and start planning the next round of upgrades!
Upgrades are for winter. Get riding!
Glad its sorted.
Keep on keepin' on.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Absolutely! Once I'm back used to riding again might have to do another worry the sheep tour. Part 2. We're baaaaaaaaaaaack. :lol:

But, there is a very cheap T595 single sided swingarm, rear wheel etc going on evilbay at the mo. And some fairly reasonably priced 40mm mikuni flatsides..... :unibrow: