starter solenoid loud clicking noise

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Kiwi34
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

starter solenoid loud clicking noise

Post by Kiwi34 »

Hi All,
I was starting the bike yesterday, it was making all the right noises (stater motor trying to engage etc) but the battery was a bit flat so it didn't quite turn over so i changed the battery and tried again, however, as the bike is still in bits the wiring loom is not secured in place yet and i didn't notice that the starter solenoid had moved and was resting with both + and - terminals against the frame , when i connected the battery there was a nice puff of smoke from the stater solenoid.
All that happens now is when i try to start it there is a loud clicking/ vibrating from the solenoid and f**k all else happens , i have tried a spare solenoid and it has the same results.
Any idea how to check the solenoid , or could it be problem else where?
as always any advise/thoughts will be appreciated

Scott
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Common practice is to bridge the solenoid terminals to check if the starters ok

Maybe check the main fuse hasn't blown and also check earth connection to frame are secured if loom isn't installed fully
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Kiwi34
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Kiwi34 »

cheers Stig,

Warning bike electrics are not my strongest point .....

Checked all the fuses they are all okay, seems to be earthed ok.
all the correct dash lights come on (neutral then oil light when the start button is pressed) , you can hear the fuel pump working etc but all i get is the loud clicking/vibrating from the starter solenoid.
If i bridge the starter solenoid then starter relay clicks constantly so not sure what the next step is....

Scott
Kiwi34
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Kiwi34 »

Just found and old link in the workshop section that gives a few ideas of what to test/ try .. fingers crossed.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

when you bridge the starter contacts (say with an insulated spanner in your hand) you are sending power directly to the starter motor from the battery.

as your motor doesnt turn when you do this you either have a break down one of the battery wires (so battery to starter soenoid, solenoid to starter motor, engine to -ve battery terminal), or you have a damaged starter motor.

if you have some jumper cables you can test this idea...disconect the current cables that attach to the battery, clamp one cable to the engine and leave it dangling, connect one from the +ve terminal to the starter motor terminal, then touch your dangling cable to the -ve terminal...if you dont get any movement from the starter motor then that is definitely the problem. if it now works you have a break in one of your original battery cables.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Kiwi34
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Kiwi34 »

Thanks chaps..

Tried a few things , ended up swapping out the stater motor , it eventually started ( had to jump it of the car)

:)