Seat Cover

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Seat Cover

Post by Tipper2 »

I got a seat cover from ebay for my '91 ru and couldn't get it to fit so after an hour of trying went to a local car upholstery trimmers for some help.

After having a look they said it was never going to fit without a crease because of the high peak at the front of the seat and that it would be best made in two or possibly three pieces.

I'm not questioning their knowledge but has anyone found a seat cover that looks near original? I've fitted several to other bikes but they've all been quite easy (ie old bike with flat seats!) and would like to keep it looking standard?

The UK ebay seller has obviously never tried to fit one of these and isn't replying to emails. :mad:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Name and shame!

I've seen pictures of red seats but not looked close at the fit. I'll dig out an image off my main PC next time I boot up
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

That's the problem of buying cheap off the bay. I've never trusted stuff off there.

If you were anywhere near Brands Hatch there's a place around the back that make custom seat covers & gel inserts for not very much, depending on style & finish.

Look up http://www.viking-motorcycle-seats.co.uk/
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Stig wrote:Name and shame!

I've seen pictures of red seats but not looked close at the fit. I'll dig out an image off my main PC next time I boot up
Haha! I'll give them a chance to sort it out first in case they sent the wrong cover.

Rode my bike this morning for the first time since I got it in January and it's leaking badly from the rocker cover gasket so not too worried about the seat at the moment.
I've got the cover off and the instant-gasket fairy has been in there, probably the same one that that did the float bowls :)
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Smear a mega small amount of clear around the half moons. It's a common leak area
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

And check your breather pipe is not kinked as this can cause a pressure build up forcing the half moons out
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Jay- Breather hose is a good point, noticed there wasn't on on the rocker but it looks OK.

Stig- I always put a smear of sealant on rubber gaskets but will take extra notice around the half moons.

Can never understand why some people put on gasket seal like they're silconing a bath...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

Tipper2 wrote:Jay- Breather hose is a good point, noticed there wasn't on on the rocker but it looks OK.

Stig- I always put a smear of sealant on rubber gaskets but will take extra notice around the half moons.

Can never understand why some people put on gasket seal like they're silconing a bath...
...ive actually seen engines being taken apart that used white bath silicone...fucking numpties :D
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles