Clutch Replacement

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Clutch Replacement

Post by Enduro_Rider »

Hi all

Is it straight forward enough to replace the clutch on my 89 exup? There is a slight slip when its cold at high revs and the clutch only grabs at the end of the lever. Think its time to replace the clutch plates?

I was worried I would also have to bleed the clutch too after installation or can you just remove he basket and replace the clutch plates?

Cheers :)
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Won't have to bleed as the slave is on the opposite side and a sealed system where you can unbolt the slave from the sprocket cover. In fact it's possible to do the clutch without draining the engine oil if you wanted to as long as the bikes leaning far enough to the left
AKA Bald headed b'stard
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

^^what stig said.

I've done a few clutches, simply by leaning the bike right over against a brick wall. Protect the bar ends and cable tie the front brake on so it wont roll forward or back. No oil drop needed.
Enduro_Rider
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Enduro_Rider »

thanks both

So its simply lie the bike over to the left, take the cover off an undo the clutch spring bolts and replace the clutch plates?

Do i need to soak the plates in oil before i fit them?

cheers boys
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Good practice to pre soak
Word of caution from other members is that if your new plates are EBC brand you might get a bit of drag until it's bedded in. Check your steel plates are proper flat while it's in bits
AKA Bald headed b'stard
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

As above is good advice, I chocked my back wheel up to get the bike to lean over on its sidestand, very little oil loss & a straightforward job.
Nick