No spark 1990 1000R

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Swoggy Loiner
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Swoggy Loiner »

Been in the garage again, and it fired straight up. Put it in gear and rode up the street and all seemed ok. Pulled it back in to chain it up again, and now it won't start!! :( going to pi$$ me off big time now, as I can't stop thinking about it :mad:
1991 FZR 1000 Exup
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I could be wrong but it sounds like there's a broken wire somewhere. When it started up and you run it down the street it worked. You obviously turned the bars to turn it round and then you put it back in the garage. Did you put the steering lock on? If you did, that's why I'm thinking there could be a broken wire making a contact and then not. :retard:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Swoggy Loiner
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Swoggy Loiner »

Could well be Nuggitt, I don't know anymore, I'm in bits haha! It was absolutely fine when i put it away for the winter, and now this. I'll have a good look and report back. cheers lads
1991 FZR 1000 Exup
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

If it has been parked up for a while the mice may have got at your wiring. It does happen.
Keep on keepin' on.
Swoggy Loiner
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Swoggy Loiner »

I never thought about that, but my garage is sealed pretty good, so don't know how mice would get in to be honest.
1991 FZR 1000 Exup
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Still can't get it to start will check pickup sensor next!
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me, if the pickup coil itself was shagged I wouldn't expect it to start at all.

If you make a test light out of a bulb that lights up when connected across the battery you can then check to see if there's power at the coils when it won't start.
On my 1991 RU the power to the coils is the red and white wire. Put one end of your test light to the earth on the battery and put the other end on the red and white at the coil, it should light up with the ignition on.

(Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, been to the pub:)
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

If the light comes on then I'd check the kill switch wiring for breaks or damage.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Forget that, (how do you edit posts ha ha.?), if the light comes on your kill switch is probably OK.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

check the starter relay blades are not broken - missed this for a couple of days on a mates bike - every time we we pulled the relay to check connectivity we failed to see one of the blades was still staying in the locator hole :wall:
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Checked the pickup coil resistance it's within tolerance! It's driving me barmy!
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Tipper2 wrote:
(Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, been to the pub:)
Not at all Tipper2 I'm new to this electricery game so All help is greatly received! I'll try this tomorrow thanks.
spook
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by spook »

Stig wrote:I had the opposite... I couldn't turn mine off. It would run even with no ignition switch connected. In the block connector behind the head stock, two of the terminals had melted together to make a circuit
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/stigsdu ... 8.jpg.html]

Hi guys, thought I might pop my cherry here!

Thanks for sorting my registration Stig.

I'm interested in the fused terminal you experienced on your exup. I had exactly the same thing occur on one of my OW01's. It was first time out at a club meeting after putting it together. The ignition wouldn't turn off. I was grateful the bike didn't catch fire, I got home disconnected the battery.

The 4 pin terminal on my OW was melted as yours. I thought it must have been water from pressure washing or poor contacts? Did you work out cause?

Cheers, Ralph.

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Nice ride mate :thumbsup:

Mine doesn't get wet. Only thing I could think of was that I'd replaced the headlight bulbs for more powerful items that draw more current. May possibly have melted the terminal
AKA Bald headed b'stard
spook
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by spook »

Thanks Stig, Unfortunately mine fused itself together, so I had to cut it out of the loom. Thankfully, it is a common type of plug. I'll have to check the wattage of the bulbs, it was at night, so the lights were on.

You obviously haven't had a problem since?

You can turn the lights off on the OW's, so daytime you have a choice.

Here are my road-bikes, I have parts to build a further 6 race bikes :unibrow: Cheers.