Refurbing my EXUP

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It's good to keep yourself busy. Also very rewarding. :thumbsup: :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I've just resigned myself to selling off more bits, some of which involve splitting and selling a set of carbs. If you need a carb top and diaphram give me a shout
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The set I'm about to part out have Dynojet needles fitted
AKA Bald headed b'stard
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Just got it fired up, sounds sweet as fook. Filled the garage with some pretty noxious fumes, :D . Revs out nicely. Makes me realise how sanitised my FZ1 sounds (even with a decat and airbox mod).

A few bits to tweak before carbs are secured.

Does anyone remember what car rad cap fits (is it a mazda or a mitsu?), the rad cap rubber is in an awful way and I don't want to chance it causing major heart ache.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Things are getting done at a steady pace on the old girl.

Pulled the downpipes off, so as to make sure the EXUP valve was fully functional. As it was it was not free, so the usual strip down was commenced--

After getting it all apart I retapped the cover holes and regreased the bushing with ceramic grease.

The trouble is on reassembly when I tighten the cover down the valve (which turns freely when the cover is down all the way) it binds. I checked the bushing on the far side, it's smooth and free of swarf and debris. As far as I can tell the valve is straight (if I get chance at work I will set it in a vee block and check for sure).

Is there anything else to look for that might make it bind-up. I've rebuilt a few over the years and not had this happen before. I don't think i ever been this fastidious about an exup rebuild either, yet it's giving me the most agro, any advice would be much appreciated....
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If you have access to a lathe put the valve between centres and rotate by hand. You can then either use a dial guage or I use a pointed lathe tool to test against the shaft. It takes a few goes of taking the valve out the lathe and holding it in a vice to tap the shaft in the required direction 👍

Btw, you only just need enough pressure against the ends of the valve to hold it in situ... if you give it too much pressure the valve end will flex to give a false reading
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Both shafts must run parallel to each other for the valve to rotate freely when assembled
AKA Bald headed b'stard
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Is there a metal gasket between the exhaust and the plate?
I am sure I had this problem and the gasket on mine was either missing or never there. After buying and installing the gasket it was fine.
Im also sure that not all models had this gasket either.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Not all have the gasket as standard. It's a bit hit and miss which ones did and I've not been able to establish a pattern from the many sets of headers I've had and refurbed
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Going by memory, my bike has a gasket fitted. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

So does mine
AKA Bald headed b'stard
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

And mine! :)
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

All that said...... most will work perfectly well without the gasket as long as the shaft ends are aligned correctly
AKA Bald headed b'stard
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Thanks for the advice.

Finally got chance to take it into work today. Put it in the lathe chuck and then set the tool so I could see the run-out. Was 4mm! not wonder it was binding up. Carefully retrued it.

Then put it in a vee block and check the vertical and lateral displacement. Got it down to about 0.25mm.

Just reassembled it and not binding whatsover.

Thanks chaps.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

Just to add my 2p - I am currently running gasket less