Carb diaphram

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Carb diaphram

Post by vigevar »

Just put some new needles in but now one of the slides takes twice as long to close as the others. The rubber looks in good condition but no matter how many times I put it back together, same thing, would it work as it should if it's on a running bike.

Any thoughts ? :mad:

While were on the subject of needles, which groove should the cir-clip be in ?
(needles from Stig)
If it ain't broke, it's only a matter of time
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

The slide you're having trouble with should close at the same speed as the other three. As for the cir clip groove. It goes on the middle one. :nod:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Carb diaphram

Post by vigevar »

Cheers Nugget. It should close at the same speed, but it doesn't. That's the problem.
If it ain't broke, it's only a matter of time
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I have a spare set of carbs that I've been wrecking my head about whether to break for parts.....

So here's me making up my mind!

I'll sell you a slide and diaphragm if you want one or even a complete carb
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

It sounds as though the slide has got dried petrol residue over the contact surfaces. I had this on my carbs & a quick clean with some carb cleaner & a tooth brush soon got things moving nicely again :nod:

When installing the slide & diaphragm, hold the slide up with one finger while seating the diaphragm into its groove. Only then seat the carb top down into place while still holding the slide up.
(also make sure that the small 'O' ring is in good condition)
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk