I want nipples on my banana shaped swinging bits!

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Foggyrat
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

I want nipples on my banana shaped swinging bits!

Post by Foggyrat »

Hi,
Has anyone fitted grease nipples to their link arm thingy?
I'm thinking of putting one on each bearing (3 total) and maybe 1 on the top shock connection.
If someone's done this b4 and can give advice or a picture on the best positions etc, I would be very grateful.
While I'm at it, what about the swing arm bearings too?
Cheers, George
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I have a couple of spare rockers if you need one to play with

In a few weeks I'm selling off a lot of bits I've collected and don't need.... Just need to create some space. I'll put some pics up later

Sorry for the hijack. Grease nipples are easy install if you have the right tap and drill size. It's much easier if the bearings aren't in situ at the time. Don't want drill dwarf in bearings!
IMHO it's simple to drop the rocker and grease if you're not doing a lot of miles or a lot of winter riding
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Foggyrat
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Foggyrat »

Thanks Stig,
The bike's already in bits and I will be replacing all bearings in the rear suspension, which is when I'm thinking of fitting the nips. I've got some M6 nipples and the thread tap. I want to make greasing a regular maintenance event so thought using a grease gun would be easier.
My concern is not putting the nips in a vulnerable position, where they might interfere with movement or get too cruddy (i'll be using caps) and yet still be accessible for the gun.
I was just wondering if someone had done this already.
If I f things up, I might need one of your spares :)
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Where there's a sleeved needle bearing in the suspension knuckle which goes all the way through, it's pointless putting a grease nipple in place as the grease won't have anywhere to go. But where there's a space between 2 needle bearings you can put a grease nipple there as it'll force its way through.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr1000-199 ... ml#results
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Foggyrat
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Foggyrat »

YAMAEXUP wrote:Where there's a sleeved needle bearing in the suspension knuckle which goes all the way through, it's pointless putting a grease nipple in place as the grease won't have anywhere to go. But where there's a space between 2 needle bearings you can put a grease nipple there as it'll force its way through.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr1000-199 ... ml#results
I agree.
Busy doing other stuff at mo but I had thought that might be an issue. That would only make 1 of the bearings eligible (or 2 if I include the swing arm bearings). When I knock the old ones out all will be clear, I'm sure.
When I eventually get round to it, I'll post some pics.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: