RU flooding

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
iancav6
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

RU flooding

Post by iancav6 »

Story goes;
Riding home other night,pulled up in traffic and it cut out,bit reluctant to restart but did.felt quite woolly at low revs but seemed to pull ok.
Did it again the following day so lifted tank off today.
Found a wire was broken on the resistor by the fuel pump,repaired this.replaced fuel filter at the same time,pattern part.
Thought i'd cracked it,took it for a run,again pulling ok but spluttered at 2-3000 rpm when pulling away.
Got back home and find fuel p-ing out of both overflows.
Thinking its a problem with the pump,what stops it running when the carbs are full?
Nothing to do with new filter?
93 RU,74000 miles.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Sounds to me like you've got some crap in the float valves. What I find odd is that you say it's coming out of both overflow pipes. I've never been that unlucky. Better get the carbs off and give em a good clean out. Normally when you turn the ignition on the fuel pump fills the float bowls then stops clicking, but if there's some crap keeping them open the pump won't stop.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
iancav6
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by iancav6 »

nuggitt wrote:Sounds to me like you've got some crap in the float valves. What I find odd is that you say it's coming out of both overflow pipes. I've never been that unlucky. Better get the carbs off and give em a good clean out. Normally when you turn the ignition on the fuel pump fills the float bowls then stops clicking, but if there's some crap keeping them open the pump won't stop.
Yes coming to that conclusion also.
Took the pump apart this morning,all seemed normal.
Fired up ok and took it for a run and again fuel run out of the overflow,didn't take tank off so don't know if it's both again,but assume so.
Carbs off next....
iancav6
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by iancav6 »

Stripped the carbs and did find a load of fine silt in each.
Good clean out and reassemble seems to have done the trick :)
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well done that man. :thumbsup: :clap:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Install an inline fuel filter to help stop it happening again
AKA Bald headed b'stard