exup valve spares

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Pr1ngle
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

exup valve spares

Post by Pr1ngle »

hi there guys, sorry it's been a while, i did the thing most people dont and abandoned all hope over winter of restoring my 89 exup...

so wednesday last week i found myself with a day off (new job) and set about playing with "Bertha".

I've shifted all the cables around to allow for better routing and air flow, dropped on a set of LSL flat bars, bled the clutch up, changed the front brake lines over to allow for better adjustment on the bars, she now runs one long line down to the right hand brake caliper, and a shorter line up and over the mudguard to the left hand caliper.

My other half's ex-boss ('s uncles brothers sisters nephew) kindly donated me a PRISTINE rear shock before he sacked her a week before christmas. I decided to set about looking at fitting it and realised i want the back end off completely to do it at which point i realised i may as well do it and dogbones (jack up kit) at the same time, so this is on hold.

..whilst eyeing that up though, i set upon the exup valve...
not good news :(
had to cut three bolts off and smack the hell out of it with a hammer to get it off. Once it came off, it revealed a multitude of sins!!
two of the three mounting points were that badly corroded they broke off, the exup valve itself is seized to the valve plate and will not move.

I'm in need of a full rebuild, the only thing salvageable are the bush that sits in the far side of the exhaust (doubt it) and the metal gasket.

I've eyed up parts on CMSNL and i can quite happily say i'm not paying that. Anybody know of anywhere that sells NOS or second hand spares that wont cost an arm and a leg..?

or do i bite the bullet, buy the black widow system and rip the exup system off completely?

cheers chaps!
Once You Pop, You just cant Stop... Unless you've seized a Piston...
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Have a word with Stig. He's the headers expert. He maybe able to help you out. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Here's a full valve set up for not too silly money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/221995892059

And a cover here. It'll clean up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/162020163179

And here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181870935916

I too have a full set up for sale on EBay but they aren't cheap. The price reflects their condition tho'
I can deal cash outside of Ebay. if you're interested give me a shout

Btw I can sort your original valve if it's not been bent too much removing it and also retap the bolt holes in the headers. Shame they've already snapped as since I started using the torch to remove the bolts I've not had a single one break on extraction
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Pr1ngle
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Pr1ngle »

Cheers for the advice guys. Im a little late off the mark though and i've missed the two links you sent me Stig. I've been checking ebay daily and found nothing :(

It might be a better option to deal outside of ebay mate, iirc you're mansfield based... i'm in chesterfield so not far away at all!
I'll have a look at where i am come monday, and i'll get some photos up so you can see what to expect.

The bolts didnt snap, i cut them off because theyd rusted themselves to the valve cover. Havent tried to budge them yet but i assume a heat gun and patience is the way to go :) may have to up the stakes and by a blow torch though :)
Once You Pop, You just cant Stop... Unless you've seized a Piston...