front fork bent

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

front fork bent

Post by yo4hgx »

I think I'm under a kind of spell or something... last night while having dinner a drunk driver hit the front of my bike and ran away, leaving me with a broken caliper, wrapped brake disc and most important, a bent front fork... fully serviced just 3 months ago.

I really need the bike back asap so I need some advices from the experts (and I will self pity myself later).

1. Is it possible to straighten the front fork stanchions or did anybody try? There is only a slight misalignment between the top yoke and the wheel so I suppose the stanchions are only very slightly bent.

2. I can't find too many options on ebay for an original exup forks, but some for R1's. I remember reading somewhere, if not even here on the forum, that the R1 forks do not fit into the exups, at least not as a straight swap, but would require some mods. I wonder if there is any procedure as an article for it?

3. What would you recommend, try repair/straighten the old stanchions, replace the fork with used parts or buy new stanchions?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

It is possible to have legs straightened but needs a pro to do it correctly. It's also possible that the yolks may be twisted slightly.
There's a few places that do aftermarket legs that aren't silly money. I'd firstly drop the front end and strip the legs out, roll them together so see if or what's bent. You could then also place the yolks on a flat surface to check for twist.
AKA Bald headed b'stard
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

r1 forks swap

Post by yo4hgx »

Didn't have time yet to look into it but seen a R1 pair of forks that seems in fair condition but I don't know how complex is the adaptation and most important if would or better said how would alter the bikes geometry and handle the extra weight?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321970347655? ... EBIDX%3AIT
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

dont know about just new yokes, as i imaging that you will need the brakes to be correctly spaced and with the correct mounting holes and distance, you will need your speedo pickup to fit, and make sure that the front spindle is th ecorrect length and diameter...on top of that you will either need to enlarge, or get new yokes...
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Brakes are a straight swap so no issues there. You'll need to sort a speedo as the R1 doesn't pick up off the front wheel
From memory of other posts it's easier to swap over the stems in the yolks than adapt the yolks themselves
AKA Bald headed b'stard
dustydes
Technician
Technician

forks

Post by dustydes »

Hi

R1 can be adapted but

Yoke spindle on FZR is thinner so the R1 spindle needs to be pressed out and replaced with FZR one with the addition of a spacer ring to make up diameter.
Top yoke also need spacer ring to make up diameter.
The stops also need sorting.
As said no speedo drive on R1

Wheel spindle is larger on R1 so no idea how you could fit FZR into R1 forks

Not too hard but you need access to, or get someone to machine spacers.
I think the R1 forks are shorter than FZR but never measured them as I'm building a street fighter.

You will get nice blue spots as well :-)

Des
Only those who have been insane can prove there not insane! Can you ??? :-)

http://paintings-by-des-pickering.weebly.com/
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

Post by yo4hgx »

It seems too complicated, at least for my present condition. I will wait then until I can take the fork apart and check it up properly, finger crossed to be only the yoke twisted but if not perhaps new stanchions is the only way to go... although it costs more than a fully adjustable R1 fork in decent condition.

Was keeping an eye on ebay for exup's forks but they don't show up that often, especially the '95 model.
Gord
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Gord »

I put R1 forks, brakes and front wheel onto my YZF 750, it's straight forward but I think you would be better off finding the standard parts.
I've got some spacers that I had made up when I was running a YZF750 wheel on the R1 forks, not sure if the would be the same for a FZR1000?
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

fork check

Post by yo4hgx »

I've got (finally!!!) the chance to strip the fork apart and I measured a small gap of about 0.6-0.7mm offset of the tubes. The measurement is not quite scientific but it gives roughly the idea that the fork tubes doesn't look that bad.

On the other hand, the lower yoke seems bent, thou due to the shape itself is more as an impression rather than measurement.

However, I'm after a lower yoke and was wondering if all USD type will do, or have to be only '95-94?
dustydes
Technician
Technician

yoke

Post by dustydes »

There are two for RU on ebay one listed as 91 > 93

And this one fox eye 95

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZR-10 ... 1563617525
Only those who have been insane can prove there not insane! Can you ??? :-)

http://paintings-by-des-pickering.weebly.com/
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

fork

Post by yo4hgx »

Got the '95 one, finger crossed is straight...
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

AKA Bald headed b'stard