She's awake.

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
nuggitt

She's awake.

Post by nuggitt »

I unwrapped my bike for the first time this morning after its long hibernation. Got the battery charged up prior and turned the key on and she didn't want to play. Had to jump it from another batttery and after about 5 minutes of coughing and spluttering she fired up. Gave her a good warm up to dry any damp patches out.

With it being nice weather I'm thinking of venturing out tomorrow. I'll pop up to Seaways to give it a tester run. It's supposed to be 13c according to the men in white coats. When I get back from Seaways I'm going to give her a good wash and brush up because she's looking a bit grubby in places.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Lookin nice that John. :nod:
Had a go at starting mine today. Flattened the battery first try and discovered a major fuel leak at the same time - nothing that screwing in the crab drain screws didn't sort (can't believe I let that one get past me :wall: )
Finally got it fired up but it was only running on 3 so I'm hoping it is ust a fouled plug.
I'll have another go tomorrow and see what happens.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Cheers Dave. Don't worry you're not alone. I've done exactly the same thing once with the drain screws. :lol: :lol: Lets hope it's a faulty plug or plug cap playing up and not a carb issue. Keep us posted. :nod: :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by markg »

Left mine this year with one of those solar powered trickle chargers attached this year. Kept the battery alive all winter, so a result for the man with no plug socket in the FZR shed :)
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by markg »

markg wrote:Left mine this year with one of those solar powered trickle chargers attached this year. Kept the battery alive all winter, so a result for the man with no plug socket in the FZR shed :)
Excuse bad grammar, thats the result of a genorous Jack Daniels :D
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

nuggitt wrote:Cheers Dave. Don't worry you're not alone. I've done exactly the same thing once with the drain screws. :lol: :lol: Lets hope it's a faulty plug or plug cap playing up and not a carb issue. Keep us posted. :nod: :thumbsup:
Well I was hoping it wasn't a carb issue too.
First off, I swapped over HT leads 1 & 4 but still no life in pot number 4.
Then I swapped over plugs 1 & 4 but still no change, so at least I knew the plugs coils and caps were ok.
Checked that fuel was flowing from the tank, which it was, so the pump and tap were ok, so that meant it had to be a carb issue. :crybaby:
Pulled the carbs off and stripped them down. I did notice that the diaphragm on carb 4 was out of shape but other than that all looked fine.
Put carbs back on and it fired up on all 4, so I think the issue was with the diaphragm.
Next step is to get it MOT and then taxed.
And then, hopefully a good blast out on it!!
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well that's excellent news Dave. That diaphragm that was out of shape wouldn't help matters. All you need now is a decent day to get out for a good run. Let's hope it all goes well. :thumbsup:
compo fzr ru
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Re: She's awake.

Post by compo fzr ru »

[quote="nuggitt"]I unwrapped my bike for the first time this morning after its long hibernation. Got the battery charged up prior and turned the key on and she didn't want to play. Had to jump it from another batttery and after about 5 minutes of coughing and spluttering she fired up. Gave her a good warm up to dry any damp patches out.

just a note do you use a stabilizer with the fuel before you put away I do and all my bikes fire up first time with a full battery :)
08 R6 FZR 1000 RU 92 Z1R 78 79 z1000s german KTM 250 06 Z810 WISSCO PROJECT & MY DOG ZAK.

RIDE LIKE YOU NICKED IT.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I too used stabiliser this last winter. Bike started a lot easier when I dragged it out a couple of weeks ago
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Sorry I'm late in replying compo. I've been tinkering in the garage all day. She's looking nice and polished now. Mind you I've got a lot of black snot now and I have eyes like a Panda.

I used to use stabilising tablets years ago, but since I fitted one of these inline taps i haven't bothered.

All I do now is turn the fuel off with the tap and run the bike til the carbs completley empty. I leave the fuel in the petrol tank over winter so the tank doesn't rust. When it's time to start the bike up I drain the tank and fill it with fresh petrol. Then try and start the bike up.

Stig did put a post up about stabilising fluid, so I might give that a try next winter.

The old petrol I drained off I put back in the tank in small quantaties so it's not wasted.

I know its a bit of faff but I like faffing about. :lol: :lol:
compo fzr ru
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by compo fzr ru »

[quote="nuggitt"]Sorry I'm late in replying compo. I've been tinkering in the garage all day. She's looking nice and polished now. Mind you I've got a lot of black snot now and I have eyes like a Panda.

Stig did put a post up about stabilising fluid, so I might give that a try next winter.

The old petrol I drained off I put back in the tank in small quantaties so it's not wasted.

may I say it looks spick and span no good man!!!!!!!!!!

as to putting the old fuel back in that's a no-no with the amount of ethanol
in unleaded wont take long for crap to build up and its also knacking seals up
:nod: :nod:
08 R6 FZR 1000 RU 92 Z1R 78 79 z1000s german KTM 250 06 Z810 WISSCO PROJECT & MY DOG ZAK.

RIDE LIKE YOU NICKED IT.