YZF750 Carb issue

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
DaddyA
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

YZF750 Carb issue

Post by DaddyA »

Evening all,

I am having a few carb issues, mainly low down. I did checked the jets for markings and they do say(I think) .45. However,I used some small drill bits to gauge the actual size as i suspect they have been messed with and got a drill in that was 1.32 mm with wiggle room!!!

The one I am referring to is the one on the right of the picture, the one on the left was blanked off when i got the bike?

It has had new needles/jets, carb rubbers, balanced, float heights at 14mm etc.

Any help appreciated

Regards
1996 YZF750R
1995 FZR1000RU
1993 ZZR600
Mk 5 Golf GT TDI
Haynes Roadster
DaddyA
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by DaddyA »

Hi Fatdog,

Thanks for the reply.

It has always had a below 3000 revs issue, especially when pulling away - spits/fart/jumps etc. Once it is over 3000+ it is a lot better but the air screws were out to 3.5 turns.

The bike did have a dynojet kit on when i got it, but removed that to get back to standard and that where the blanks were from, i put them back in to see if that would help but made it worst so they are back out now. I'm also not sure if they drilled any jets when fitting the DJ? I since found that the markings on the jets are flow rates so i don't know how i can measure to check they are correct so i will have to buy new jets.

Which ones are the slow running jets?

I'm also getting conflicting jet sizes from the manuals, some say main jets 120 across the board, others say 125 & 122.5? Not sure which ones to believe?

I have not checked the chokes?

Thanks again, i'll investigate the jet issue first.

Thanks again

Daz
1996 YZF750R
1995 FZR1000RU
1993 ZZR600
Mk 5 Golf GT TDI
Haynes Roadster
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Generally the middle 2 jets will be larger due to those cylinders running hotter due to less air flow

The slow running is controlled by the pilot circuit. Even a small blockage will cause havoc as I found out last year. I'd ultrasonic cleaned my carbs and stripped and cleaned them out but issue persisted

Nuggitt & Roadrunner came to my assistance. We stripped each carb back to basics, cleaned with carb cleaner and blew everything out with a high pressure air gun. With rubber tip to help seal things. It's ran correctly ever since.
AKA Bald headed b'stard
DaddyA
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by DaddyA »

Cheers Stig,

Looking at a couple of references my main jets are 120 across the board. My slow running ones say #45 but the manuals say 60 & 120 so hopefully that may sort it?

So far the passages look clear, just need to blow them through.

I did notice when I took the carbs off that no1 carb was looking black in the Venturi??? That pot as been spitting and popping - any ideas?

Cheers Daz
1996 YZF750R
1995 FZR1000RU
1993 ZZR600
Mk 5 Golf GT TDI
Haynes Roadster
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

it's a silly question I know but have you checked the spark plug on #1 cylinder? Sounds to me as though the plug is playing up. Snip a bit off the ht lead and screw the cap on nice and tight. It could be contributing to some of the problems you're having.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
DaddyA
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by DaddyA »

Cheers Fellas,

I'll check them all while i'm at it.

I did read somewhere that the vacuum line that operated the fuel supply can some times fail and leak extra fuel in! I'll bear that one in mind too.

The jets thing - a few different set ups but the ones i'm opting for are for my year bike so hopefully it will work.Thanks again for the advice/tips.

Not replaced the air screws but i did get a seal kit and they have been replaced.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers

Daz
1996 YZF750R
1995 FZR1000RU
1993 ZZR600
Mk 5 Golf GT TDI
Haynes Roadster