Improving the Brakes.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Eyore
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Improving the Brakes.

Post by Eyore »

Well, loving the new bike (2000 YZF1000R) but not hugely impressed with the brakes. Removed and cleaned the bluespot calipers yesterday, fitting new Galfer braided lines today along with new fluid, the original 1999 manufacture rubber lines were still on the bike :eek: Have Brembo padson order. Really just wondering what else I can do?
Possibly an R6 radial Brembo master cylinder?? Any advice welcome.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Apart from the construction of the calipers the set up is same as the R1's which usually have outstanding braking performance

First swap out the hoses for braided. If that doesn't improve things I'd look the the master cylinder. The later R1 radials fit and are supposed to improve things further. I have such a mc but not tried it yet
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Eyore
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Eyore »

Thanks Stig, will try the new pads, cleaned pistons, new fluid and braided lines before going down the radial master cylinder route.
I reckon the 16 yr old rubber brake lines certainly weren't going to do anything for stopping.
I know the blue spot calipers are supposed to be excellent, hopefully when the whole system is refreshed they will be.