carbs back on, now leaking fuel.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

carbs back on, now leaking fuel.

Post by Crazy L »

Hi guys

Recently had the engine out of my 'ace so I could sodablast the engine and get the valve clearances done while I clean the rest of the frame, weld exhaust up, replace exup cables, new inlet rubbers and just a general freshen up.

Alas, put it all back together, bike started, sounded a bit rough, but pissed fuel out of the carbs, looks like all four but cant be sure as fuel tanks was on.

Im thinking sticky float needles but am open to suggestions as I'll have to pull em off again. Didn't touch carbs when apart btw.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Right, got tank, airbox off, and carbs out, on my bench, all before I came to worrk this morning. So this arvos job is float bowls off and a bit of internal cleaning.
Answer RC
Sworkz
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Here's something that might help....

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/tech_info_are ... height.htm

If this is the first time you've had the carbs off. Then you may need to replace a few worn parts in there.

You can buy float bowl seal kits and float valves off ebay. Take one of your floats out and see if the spring holds it horizontaly like in the photo of the link. If not that will cause over flowing in the bowls. Where the fuel comes out of one of the two overflow pipes.

While your in there get some new emulsion tubes fitted and you'll see the difference after fitting them. See stig he may have a spare set in his make up bag. :lol:

Here's a link of how to do them...

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/tech_info_are ... gtoobs.htm

Give all you jets a good clean out and blast air through them with a compressor.

I've just found this link too. Tells you how the tubes wear out....

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/tech_info_are ... ntoobs.htm
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Thanks for the tips Nuggit

I'll bear them in mind for next time. I've just read your post (8pm) after i've showered and cleaned up. I gave the float needles, bowls and jets a quick clean with an airline and brake cleaner, screwed bowls on and used a bit of hylomar blue to seal them.

Took a couple of stabs of the button, but she runs and doesn't leak now.

Will favouritise those links.
Answer RC
Sworkz