My 1st project. .

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Great choice of ride

There's a yam workshop manual free to dl in the tech section on the main site

As for leaning up your parts... Things like that fuel pump will clean up ok with a bit of patience. Depending on budget, brackets can be cleaned up using electrolysis with soda and a battery charger. Makes a great job, search google there's loads of info to explain the process.... And it's cheap too
AKA Bald headed b'stard
odbguy
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by odbguy »

Iv already downloaded a few things of the fzr site and got them printed of into a folder. I'll see if there's anything different on here but I also have a trusty Haynes manual for back up :)

I did wonder if it would clean up, would save me about 50quid if it's just a case of a bit of hardwork cos it works fine.

electrolysis ... I have a feeling Iv seen something by that name with a car battery on YouTube. . I will be sure to have a look :)
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Get yourself down to Bapps bolts on Colin Road Scunthorpe and get a load of stainless steel bolts. When you take anything off replace the cruddy old bolts with nice new stainless steel ones. Slap some copper grease on em too. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
odbguy
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by odbguy »

I was going to get a load of new bolts but I didn't think of bapps so thanks for the suggestion! :)

1 thing I wasn't sure about is the Exup valve and cables. The cables have been taken out and I haven't got round to checking but apparently the valve is still there. I'm not sure what sort of condition it will be in but I should hopefully get chance to look this weekend.
Will it just be a case of buying the cables from wemoto and fitting? Is it a straight forward job?
rocket robbo
Considerably Faster than Yeow!
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by rocket robbo »

any help you need if i can i will dont forget im only a stones throw away

NINJA ROBBO lol..... :ninja: :ninja:
current rides
1989 fzr1000 exup
1989 fzr1000 exup single sided fighter
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

May have some cables
AKA Bald headed b'stard
odbguy
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by odbguy »

Nice one thanks for the offer NINJA !! :)
I think you may be hearing from me soon ! Haha

Oh really Stig .. and what is the going rate for cables ?? :)
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Let me look for them first :ninja:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Ok so found 3 pairs of cables .....

Problem is they're all different lengths and one pair has frayed inner wires (which are replaceable)
Next issue is I can't get to my bike properly until weekend to be able to match lengths and see which matches the r model
AKA Bald headed b'stard
odbguy
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by odbguy »

Hey everyone, I took the downpipes and that of today so it's been the 1st chance iv got to look at the Exup valve properly ....

Or have I ?? What am I actually looking at here ??? :/
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

You're looking at a bloody mess to be honest.
Last edited by nuggitt on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
odbguy
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by odbguy »

Hahaha brilliant. I thought that when I looked at it ...
Sooo ... what's my options ??
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It should look like this....

Or better still with stainless steel.

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Looks like it's not seen any attention this decade

Should be able to save the headers if they're not rotten. The sheared bolts will drill out ok if you know what you're doing. Possibly have a local engineer drill em out for tea money. The valve may also be salvageable if it'll come out unbent and the bolt comes out ok that used to hold on the pulley wheel

Keep a look out on eBay for Exup parts that look the same style. They're fitted to many yam models of the same era inc the early R1 and Fazer. It's usually the length of the valve itself that's different which shouldn't be an issue if you can save the existing or the end of the valve shaft is too long like on R1 but that can be cut shorter
Also keep an eye on German ebay

If you get desperate and want a replacement total set I keep a couple in stock. I can do them a it cheaper than what I sell them for on eBay if dealt direct to save on fees
AKA Bald headed b'stard
odbguy
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by odbguy »

That's quite a bit of difference between the 2 there a nuggit! Ha

I asked my dad again earlier for help but he been a Triumph only man was lost on what he was looking at . Haha
I will keep an eye on ebay then thanks Stig. I'll give it a clean up tomorrow and see what I think then. My dad should be alright drilling them out as he's an engineer.

Needs a bit or welding tho as the mounting bracket is all rotten and in bits ...

You may get a msg of me shortly Stig requesting a few prices .... lol