Water leaks! Any thoughts?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Water leaks! Any thoughts?

Post by Rockmonster »

Refurbished my water pump changed the rubber seal now it leaks! Also the thermostat housing has been refurbed too and now that it's put back together that leaks too! They only seep very little but they still seep! Pissed off as now they are mint after having been ultrasonically cleaned and painted! Any suggestions why this should be? All seals have been replaced too! I can't believe I have to replace them now with grubby old ones! Haven't changed the thermostat- maybe the seal is fucked now that it's been disturbed- but thoroughly cleaned! Bollocks!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Did you use OEM seals?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Yep!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

mine leaked with new seals in both places you described as well...a bit of instant gasket cured it...not ideal but did the trick.

you can ditch the thermostat entirely if you want to and just use a continuous piece of hose from the engine to the radiator, if you do so you need to warm the engine up a bit slower then usual, and it might make cold december starts more difficult...
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles