Tank fuel sensor

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

Tank fuel sensor

Post by yo4hgx »

Finally I've got the chance to open up the fuel tank and try sort out the non-working reserve light. It seems the fuel sensor is faulty, it just won't do nothing, in or out of the fuel.

As far as I understood the sensor is just a NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistor and any automotive would do but can't figure out the exact value. Does anyone know the resistance specs? Or an automotive or other equivalent?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Fang one of our members did a bit of work on the fuel sensor. I've found the link for it here.

Fuel sensor

Scroll down to about halfway and you should find the post he put up. It may or may not help you but have a read.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

fuel sensor

Post by yo4hgx »

Well... our friend there is testing a theory that unfortunately isn't correct for the exups, which uses a different wiring then his.

I've already ordered from RS few thermistors in the range of 0.5-1.5K and soonest I can I'll post the results here. If it works, the fix cost would be in the range of cents...
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

Tank fuel sensor

Post by yo4hgx »

Mistery sorted out!

The original reserve fuel sensor can be replaced with a common NTC thermistor of 470 ohms (RS part number: RS1912229) that will lit the yellow light bulb (reserve) at about 1W, bright enough even for a sunny day. Now remain to see if it is "fuelproof"...

It costs 0.618 pounds (without VAT) but unfortunately it comes only in packs of 5.

For some reason I can't attach the photos.