Oil filters

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Oil filters

Post by nuggitt »

I'm planning an oil change soon and I've no oil filters left. Been scouring fleabay and found some HI FLO filters for the 89/90 model. Has anybody ever used this type? I don't know why but something or someone jogged my memory by saying don't use this brand. It could be me just getting old I suppose. Feel free to comment. :lol:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
rocket robbo
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by rocket robbo »

i use em nuggitt ,never had any issues with em..for you info the same filter will fit the old z1000/gpz1100 air cooled lumps too :D
current rides
1989 fzr1000 exup
1989 fzr1000 exup single sided fighter
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Thanks robbo. Right I'll get some. Where's the wife's purse? :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
rocket robbo

Post by rocket robbo »

nuggitt wrote:Thanks robbo. Right I'll get some. Where's the wife's purse? :lol: :lol:
carefull old chap wives purses have been know to bite :lol: :lol:
current rides
1989 fzr1000 exup
1989 fzr1000 exup single sided fighter
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

The wife's purse has a mouse trap spring on the clasp. It'll have your fingers off if you're not quick enough.
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

I think that's what I've just used. Always used them on my Divvy without any problems. Not sure what them rubber rings are for but the large one is brill for keeping the paper on my jam jar. :eek:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

The small one is to keep your Johnny on ya Dick Dave. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

I wish I'd known that 20 years ago! :nod:
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

larger rubber seals the filter cover to the cases, the smaller rubber goes between the oil filter and the case, you put it on last over the central bolt after replacing the oil filter over said bolt.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Just like to say I got these HIFLO filters today. I did an oil and filter change this morning and when I came to put the new O ring on the oil filter housing it was to big. The small O ring fits the bolt part ok. :nod: I rang the supplier and told him what had happened and he will check his stock and sort it out. :thumbsup:
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I've only ever used genuine Yam ones on my Exup-R as they're guaranteed by Yamaha. But paper filers have come a long way since I had one collapse on me while riding back from the Isle of Wight back in '78 & the oil blockage screwed up the cam & rocker arm pads on my CB550F1 that I was riding at the time. Since buying cheap in those days i've always used genuine, but filers by K&N & Hyper-Flo have changed things for the better. They also sell good air filters as i've got one in my R1 & it flows as well if not better than the OEM one that was in there :nod:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk