Ace valve stem seal change.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Ace valve stem seal change.

Post by wonkiwheel »

Big job? Engine out? Head off?
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

It's not a big job in whole scheme of things providing you have a basic knowledge of mechanics.
You will need to take the cylinder head off which can be done with the engine still in the frame.
Replacing the seals is best left to an Auto engineer shop as it requires special tools and know-how to remove the valves etc.
You could have a go yourself if you're feeling brave. :D

Hope that helps.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I decided that the excessive oil consumption on my Exup-R was due to piston rings & valve guide seals. Not wanting to remove the engine just to get the head & barrel off, I removed the upper rear engine mount bolt & tilted the engine forward enough th remove those engine parts

Removing the valves is easy enough if you've got the time & the right tools. I made my own adapters instead of buying another tool

(I know this is a cylinder head off a Yam R1, but I didn't take any pics of the Exup-R head when I was doing the work)

While the Exup's head was off I cleaned up the ports, lapped in the valves & re-shimmed the clearances all in one go as it was easier than trying to do the shims with the head back on the engine.

The engine still drinks some oil, but it's not as bad as it was. I think this is more to do with the valve stem to guide clearance than anything else, because of the crud that was on the rear of the valve 'tulip', which didn't aid gas flow at all :\
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk