stalling

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

stalling

Post by thunder_taz »

ok folks. got my ace fighter started today and although it is runnung a bit rough, at least it is runnung.

my probem is that as soon as I change into 1st gear it stalls. I have done a quick and dirty sidestand switch bypass with no effect. the strange thing is that when I try and shift back into neutral I cant get the pedal to move. I have to thumb the starter to make the bike jump forward while applying gentle upward pressure to the pedal to get it back into neutral.

the bike has sat unstarted for a long time but I presume dodgy oil wouldnt cause this sort of problem?
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Sounds like stuck clutch plates? Run it up warm & keep activating the clutch to free the plates? In an extreme case u may need to remove them to free them off
Nick
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Sorry, I meant to say an oil change will very much help this.
Nick
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

the oil change is ths first thing on my list. only problem is that the bike is parked on an upsloping driveway so I may not get all of thd old oil out. I was intenfing to parki it on level ground at the top of the dtive to do the oil change. I was going to do an oil change to flush out the old oil and then do another oil changd a couple of weeks later.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

thunder_taz wrote:the oil change is ths first thing on my list. only problem is that the bike is parked on an upsloping driveway so I may not get all of thd old oil out. I was intenfing to parki it on level ground at the top of the dtive to do the oil change. I was going to do an oil change to flush out the old oil and then do another oil changd a couple of weeks later.
You should be fine on that drive. The oil should flow back to the drain hole. Get it nice and warm first.
Keep on keepin' on.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

as per some advice from other forums I have been advisex to ziptie the clutch lever back and leave it there to see if that unsticks them. ii did that yesterday as I cant do thd oil change until tuesday at thd earliest. it is worth a go as I have owt to lose!!!!!!
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by willandrip »

Warm it up so the engine has some grunt.
Wheel up to a wall so the front wheel is touching.
Start the bike and put it in gear and keep the clutch pulled in .
The plates will break free.

I have to do this when pulling bikes from the very back of the garage that have stood for a few years.
Endeavour to persevere.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

willandrip wrote:Warm it up so the engine has some grunt.
Wheel up to a wall so the front wheel is touching.
Start the bike and put it in gear and keep the clutch pulled in .
The plates will break free.

I have to do this when pulling bikes from the very back of the garage that have stood for a few years.

i will keep this as plan B if the cable tie trick hasn't worked by Tuesday.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

That's what I have to do after the long winter months of the bike being in hibernation.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

moving the bike around an upward sloping drive is way too awkward single handed so tomorrow I am going to reverse the car down the drive up against the front wheel and try it that way.
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by willandrip »

Switch the fuel off.
Run the engine till it wont restart.
Put it in first gear.
Wind it up the hill using the starter motor and brute force.

Don't forget to turn the fuel back on.
Endeavour to persevere.
Teego

Post by Teego »

thunder_taz wrote:moving the bike around an upward sloping drive is way too awkward single handed so tomorrow I am going to reverse the car down the drive up against the front wheel and try it that way.
It'll end in tears.
Keep on keepin' on.
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by willandrip »

Teego wrote:
thunder_taz wrote:moving the bike around an upward sloping drive is way too awkward single handed so tomorrow I am going to reverse the car down the drive up against the front wheel and try it that way.
It'll end in tears.

Not for the spares dealership !
Endeavour to persevere.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

i would have to turn the bike around on the driveway as the wall is at the bottom of the drive. then if it doent work I have to try and pull the bike backwards up the slope to turn it around again. I presumed that if I sat on the bike brake at the ready with a breeze block behind tbe back to stop rollback I would be ok.

if I had a nice flat drive I would be as happy as a pig in shit. having said that it is impossible to say how happy i would be with garage!!!!!!!!
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

ok have got the clutch plates out. when i have separated them do i need to soak em in oil overnight before they go back in or is that only applicable to new clutch plates?