fork seal leak

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rexeriot
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

fork seal leak

Post by rexeriot »

Hi all. When I bought my 89 Exup the RH fork seal was leaking. I changed it 12 months ago and has just started leaking again. Are they prone to this or am I just unlucky ?
I always stick to the speed limits. Its just that the ones in our area they seem to have missed all the " 0's " off the end.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Was the replacement a gen Yamaha seal?

Is the chrome perfect in the travel area, are the bushes worn. Was that leg checked to be straight?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

I know they're prone to it on Diversions if it's not an original Yamaha seal. :nod:
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Try using a 20' feeler gauge between the fork leg & the seal (pull the dust seal out of the way). Use some WD40 or GT85 & it'll clear out dust & dirt trapped between the 2.

This trick worked on my Exup-R the last time the seal leaked slightly :nod:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

I made a tool out of a Chinese take away carton lid. I worried about using a thin feeler gauge as I thought there may be a risk that the feeler gauge blade might cut and damage the lip of the seal.

I did see a tool on the internet made of thin plastic that was made to clean out the dirt and dead flies etc from fork seal. I just copied it and it worked for me.
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but ive the same problem, but the seals only leak under heavy braking as there is a wee bit pitting on the chrome at the bottom of the chrome, is there ay way of repairing the damaged chromework or is it a new set of forks?????

If its a new set, where do you guys get your spares from???

Cheers