Chain & sprockets for 1992 Fzr 1000 RU

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
barrybiker
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Chain & sprockets for 1992 Fzr 1000 RU

Post by barrybiker »

Hi I need to get chain & sprockets soon , what is the best out there for the old 92 exup 1000 ? What number of teeth do you use up front & back ? Also what chain is the best ?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Standard set up is 17/47, 532 pitch chain of 110 links
Any reputable brand will be ok as long as it's looked after

Common conversion is a 530 pitch set up as used on the r1. It's cheaper too as its a more common size but still well up to doing the task. Some folk have altered their gearing, myself included, but it's down to riding style, use of bike. I've opted for a 16 front to give better acceleration. It's not really affected the top end use as there's no where now days other than the track where you can stretch its legs that far
AKA Bald headed b'stard
barrybiker
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by barrybiker »

Thanks stig 👍 , is the 1 less tooth on the front sprocket noticeable compared to the 17 teeth ? That sounds good as I don't ride into the 120+ mph very often anymore !! More low down acceleration would be the job , do u have any idea what a full kit costs ? I see a lot of newer bikes using gold chains now , are they better in anyway I wonder ....,
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

the gold is only for looks but I suppose it helps protect the side plates a little too.

Look out for o ring chains as they tend to last longer

The 16 does make a difference as its like going to approx 50 on the rear. Theres no clearance issues on the swing arm pivot point either when using 16

not got a clue on cost as its ages since i bought my last set (I just dont do the milage)
AKA Bald headed b'stard
barrybiker
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by barrybiker »

Ok thanks, I'm the same I don't do a big lot of milage on my bike either as I have another few bikes & hop from 1 to the other so the milage is low enough on them , I was thinking about selling my exup for a hayabusa but I'm gone attached to it over the last few years I don't think I could get rid if it as I got it at a good price originally with small miles on it & it's clean & really on the button !!!
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I found that dropping one tooth of both front & rear sprockets placed the final drive ratio right between standard & minus one off the front. It still accelerates better than standard & when I want to ride anywhere long distance I just change the front sprocket back to the 17. The minus one on the rear lowers the revs slightly for the same speed, which is better for cruising at 80-90-100 :nod:

I recommend & use a Renthal front, Supersprox rear & DID VX chain.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk