radiator query

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

radiator query

Post by thunder_taz »

Hi guys.

I have fightered my ace and it is currently wearing an fzr1000 rad which works, but looks knackered.

Looking at the service manual, I presume the rad works as an oil cooler as well.

In order to open up my option for a better looking rad, could I use a separate rad and oil cooler set up?. I know it would need custom brackets and hoses, but would it work in principal?

Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The oil cooler is incorporated into the rad on either ru models or the earlier r model. The other model it's separate but can't remember which model has what n I'm at work so notable to check my own bike
AKA Bald headed b'stard
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

Thanks stig. I am hoping to reduce the size of the rad and use the smallest possible oil cooler. Hopefully there will be some sort of universal set up I can use. As I said I know theatre will be tweaking involved, but that is what makes life interesting!!!!!!
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

For the moment I will keep my existing rad, but get rif of all the crap coming out the front.

I am looking into getting a rad cap with a built in temp sensor and get an inline adapter for the outlet hose for the fan switch. The earth lead I will relocate somewhere on the frame.

As I will need to get bolts to blank off the OEM holes, can anyone confirm the thread size and pitch for the temp sensor and fan switch?

Thanks