First ride since buying the FZR in 2013

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

First ride since buying the FZR in 2013

Post by Realitybites »

Around 2012 I realized I needed to scratch an itch that had been bugging me for years. Best bike I ever owned, the most fun I ever had, was on a fine silver 1989 FZR1000. I wanted to own one again, my old one if possible but if not, as close to it as possible. While I never found my original FZR (It's still on the road) I did find one online in Church Stretton and bought it sight unseen on September 21st 2013. They dropped it off at my parents house in North Wales and then it was a matter of getting it shipped over to the US. I would have bought one here but they never sold the fine silver colour in the US and it just wouldn't have felt the same. It stayed in the Uk, tucked away in a garden shed until it turned 25 years old in April 2014 (anything under 25 is a real hassle to import due to emission standards), then it was a matter of getting a shipper arranged. I booked it as part of a container shipment and then had it picked up and transported to Liverpool Docks. The wait seemed like forever as it sat in the warehouse waiting for the shipper to have a container load and finally in late May it set sail.
June 4th 2014 it arrived in New York, got cleared through Customs and in Late June it arrived in Philadelphia. I thought I was home clear but the week it arrived I started getting chest pains and while the bike sat in the warehouse, I laid in hospital. I have great neighbors and so while I was being operated on he took a trailer down and picked the bike up. I was told by the doctor after having five stents that I had been close to having a 'life threatening heart attack' Now of course, I have my FZR in my garage but being on anti coagulation meds, blood thinners blah blah blah can't risk riding it and anyway, the paperwork had disappeared in the blackhole called New Jersey DMV. As I recovered I worked on the bike. First thing, new fluids all round and new filters. Sent the back wheel away for refinishing and fitted new bearings and seals, fix any rips in the seat and find any parts to replace the non-originals. airbrushed several scrapes, removed crap paint from nuts and bolts all while recovering and pissing my wife off (you need to rest, here, have a whisky). The carbs were the worst, the toobs looked like they were original, the needles badly worn and they were so gunged up it took four strip downs until she finally ran on all four.
Yesterday I finally got her registered and today I decided to risk it and take her out for a ride. God it was awesome, at first she ran a little rough, but slowly, the years fell away and she flew, took her around the backroads and then onto the freeway and opened the throttle. It was as I remembered, so smooth, stable, the incredible bike I had loved was right there again, 26 years after first riding one. I'll be off the heart Meds in July, there's a vintage bike meet I plan on attending but right now, all is well with the universe.
Brit living in the U.S

"You can lead a horse to water, but you're not bringin' that dog in 'er mate"
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Great story. Glad to hear your on the mend

I too took ill just after buying my EXUP. I used to use the ride as acceleration therapy....certainly helped to keep me positive

Bike looks well btw :cool:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

Sorry to hear that Stig, hope everything is ok. Did the Exup accelerate the healing?
Brit living in the U.S

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Dunno, but still here to tell the tale :thumbsup:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Good read that. Glad to hear you and the bike are up and running again nicely. Get out there and get some miles under your belt in that lovely sunshine. I was out on Friday for 6 whole hours and had a good run round on the old girl. Cracking bikes to play about on aren't they? Hoping to unscrew this paint brush from my right hand and maybe go out Tue's or Wed's this week. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Glad to hear your on the mend....
Church Stretton 'eh? I bet it had been tucked away in a retirement home as the average age of that place is about 75 lol.
Mine passed its MOT with no advisories yesterday so I thought it would be rude not to clear the cobwebs, ended up at Donington park & was glad I did as I was lucky enough to meet Micheal Dunlop!
Nick
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

Thanks and yes, she's a cracking bike, Took her out again today and right now still a tiny bit rough at low revs and I felt her drop to three but I think it's just some goop in her idle tubes so running seafoam in the petrol right now to hopefully dig away any residue. At road speed she is unbelievably smooth, no vibration and pulls like a freight train. No way does she feel like a 26 year old bike. Me and her are getting to know each other after 24 years. One thing, I'd forgotten how crap the mickey mouse ear mirrors were :D
Brit living in the U.S