Pods and jeting

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
whiteboy
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Pods and jeting

Post by whiteboy »

Toying with the idea of putting a set of pods on my exup. Has anyone run a set on their bikes? Is there a lot of jetting involved to get running rite? Or am i better off just sticking with standard airbox?
Thnaks
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I have twin pods made by K&N on my '90 Exup-R & have fitted a Stage 3 Dynojet kit. It works fine except for a slight burble from tickover & i'm happy to adjust the air screw in small increments until I find a sweet spot

The roll on power from top gear ( -1 on both sprockets) is impressive as is the fuel consumption, regularly getting 140 miles until reserve.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
EXUPNutter
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by EXUPNutter »

I've heard / read a load of horror stories about running an EXUP on pods.

How hard was it to jet?

I'm not overly bothered about low down as it will be for my YZF 1000 track bike where the exup airbox wont fit under the 750 tank.
If you dont like the way I ride stop trying too keep up!!
rf9rider
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by rf9rider »

If i remember rightly, you can make the 1000 airbox fit by reshaping it, its the rear top corners that are the problem, you can cut a bit off each side/top and plastic weld the reshaped bits so it fits.
I might have some pics, i`ll have a look.
If YZFKEV is still about on here, he might be able to help, as i`m sure he helped me with it.
I had pods on my YZF750 with the Exup 1000 motor, never did run quite right.
Rutz is my friend.
Brad16v
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Brad16v »

Hi, I needed a new exhaust so plumbed for a new full system without EXUP, YES it news runs like a pig under 3K, was thinking of new K&N pods, Dyno Jet , 1 tooth down on front sprocket and 2 up at the back should make it lively or will I have tuning nightmares ahead of me😢 not bothered about loosing a bit of top end grunt it's all about the twisters for me...
Anyone with a bit of advice before I go head long?
Cheers
THE DEVIL MADE ME!
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

EXUPNutter wrote:I've heard / read a load of horror stories about running an EXUP on pods.

How hard was it to jet?

I'm not overly bothered about low down as it will be for my YZF 1000 track bike where the exup airbox wont fit under the 750 tank.
at first it ran sluggish up to 6k then went ballistic
so i changed the rear sprocket to 48 teeth and went down to
132 mains and was set up on dyno ( a must imho ) - ran sweet all through the rev range - highly recommend keeping the exup valve too
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

EXUPNutter wrote:I've heard / read a load of horror stories about running an EXUP on pods.

How hard was it to jet?

The main thing was glueing the blanking plugs into place in the air jet entry hole.

The jetting was easy as I just followed the instructions :nod:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk