Final drive ratio

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

Final drive ratio

Post by yo4hgx »

Hello lads,

Haven't used my exup for some years but within a month or so I will take it out for a spin around the mountains... with "melady", baggage and sh**t.

Problem is that before I used to be a lonely wolf and hunt around with some big guns but in order to keep up with them I had to dope my exup a bit: 127.5 main jets+K&N filter and 17/49(+2) sprockets. I love the way it pulls... but she is a bit thirsty on gas and I won't really need all the muscles now.

As is easier to toss it in and out, I was thinking to let the rear sprocket 49 (+2 from standard) but replace instead the front with 18 (+1 from standard) that will bring the final ratio almost back to the stock. I wonder if there is enough room for the bigger front sprocket or if any other problems that I can't thing of?...
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Wow that will seriously slow down the acceleration :paranoid:

Btw stock is 17/47

I run 16/47 without any clearance issues on the swingsrm pivot and its not lost a lot of top end (not that it gets used that often with so many cameras around)
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I use -1 on front & rear sprockets as this puts the ration between -1 off the front only & standard. It accelerates slightly quicker & revs to the red line in top easier and does not overly affect fuel consumption like -1 off the front does.

Not sure if it's possible to fit a +1 front, but -3 off the back is almost the same as +1 on the front.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
yo4hgx
Technician
Technician

Post by yo4hgx »

So, stock is 17/47, now I have 17/49 and I wanted to keep the rear sprocket and replace only the front one which would result in a 18/49 combination with roughly the same ratio as stock.

It seems nobody went this road and the only way is to actually check it out.

Thanks anyway!