Help with Carbs

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Timmy 2 Stroke
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Help with Carbs

Post by Timmy 2 Stroke »

Can anybody help? I am having trouble with my 1989 Exup. I have stripped and cleaned the carbs and balanced but it will only tickover with a tiny bit of choke on, the moment I turn it off it stops.

It looks like it has got original Emulsion tubes and needles and done 32,000 miles. Would new tubes cure it?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. :)
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Fitting new tubes will make a big difference to the performance of of the carbs. When you say it won't tick over without the choke. Have you adjusted the tick over screw that's fixed to the bottom of number 1 carb which you can adjust by putting a screwdriver through the hole in the frame?
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Timmy 2 Stroke
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Timmy 2 Stroke »

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I put my tank on back to front so I can balance the carbs and I can turn the screw by hand at the end of the cable so I can raise the tickover.

At the moment the screw does not touch the cam by the throttle cables but when I screw it in the revs go up but because the choke is on a bit it doesn't like it and will stall and unless I back out the screw it won't start. Might try screwing it in half way and then starting it.

Do you remember how far yours is screwed in.

Thanks for your help.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Not quite sure how far mine is screwed in. I usually get the engine hot then if it is running a bit fast screw it out and visa versa. I set mine to run at 1,100 rpm with a hot engine. While you're at it, get hold of Stig because he may have a set of tubes in his man tin. We get a bit of discount getting them from Stig.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I have 2 sets of Toobs n 1 set of needles currently in stock if you need them :idea:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Timmy 2 Stroke
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Timmy 2 Stroke »

I am going to buy some Toobs and Needles from Stig and if that doesn't sort it out will get it ultrasonically cleaned.

Stig - did you receive my PM?

Thanks
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

you have reply sir

shame you aint closer to me as I have an ultrasonic tank large enough to take a full bank of 4 carbs without having to strip them into seperates :D
AKA Bald headed b'stard