Fuel problem

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Fuel problem

Post by markg »

Just looking for a bit of advice. Took my Exup out for a spin today. All was well for about 20 miles when the bike started to cut out, flicked the reserve switch as the tripmeter was up at about 100 miles which would be about right given how many times the bike has been started over winter.
Bike eventually cut out and would not re start.
Looked in the tank and had petrol, took the hose off the fuel filter and had a flow of petrol. Tried to start bike again and it was fine. A couple of miles down the road and the same happened, repeated what I did the time before and started again.
Filled with petrol a bit further down the road and then the bike ran fine for the 30 odd mile trip home.
Am I looking at the electric fuel switch being knackered or should I be looking at something else?
All advice greatly appreciated :-)
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

I'd have a look at a couple of things first.
Is the tank breather clear?
Could be crud in the fuel system. Check both filters. People forget the little one at the carb end of the pipe.
Could be the fuel pump.
Keep on keepin' on.
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by markg »

Breather is ok. Will check the filters though. Fuel pump seems ok. May have just sucked some crap through the system as the tank was low.
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

I had the same problem last summer. Which probably means I'll have the same problem this summer too because I know I didn't fix it. Bike runs fine until I get near reserves and when I do get onto reserves it takes age and ages to start again. I did notice that if I opened the fuel filler cap and let some air in it seemed to be fine. It really ought to be on my job list soon. :nod:
Vagabond
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by Vagabond »

I'd something very similar happen to me, turned out it was the reserve switch was dirty so when I hit reserve nothing happened, the only way to get the bike started was to prime the carbs by turning the kill switch on an off before hitting the start button.

Cleaned the reserve switch up and it was fine.
1989 FZR1000R
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Well worth cleaning contacts of reserve switch with a good switch cleaner to eliminate this as a potential source of issues.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by markg »

Cheers guys, that's given me a few good things to look at.
Going to change the filters, replace the fuel hose from the tank and check the wiring / clean connectors.
Probably will try to avoid going on reserve ever again but hopefully never have the issue again.
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by markg »

Turns out to be a wire broken off the switch.
Have soldered it back on but not convinced it will hold.
If the two wires from the switch are joined, does it bypass the switch and disable the reserve?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

depends if its an open or closed circuit
AKA Bald headed b'stard
EXUPNutter
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by EXUPNutter »

I don't have the reserve switch on my track bike but can't remember whether I had to join the wires or just unplugged it.
If you dont like the way I ride stop trying too keep up!!
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by willandrip »

It's a normally closed circuit.

If the circuit becomes open for any reason, either switched to reserve or a fault occurs/wire breaks in any part of the system including the sensor (which is prone to this) then the bike will by default run the reserve circuit override and hence run the tank dry.

Corrected it for you will. Moderator. :thumbsup:
Endeavour to persevere.