coolant dripping from overflow

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rexeriot
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

coolant dripping from overflow

Post by rexeriot »

Hi all. Was out on a fast ride today. Came back and noticed a couple of drips of coolant coming out of the overflow. It stopped as soon as the engine was off. Is it the thermostat on its way out ? I've had a thermostat go on another bike but on that occasion the coolant gushed out at the end of the ride. Your views are greatly appreciated. Thanks chaps.
I always stick to the speed limits. Its just that the ones in our area they seem to have missed all the " 0's " off the end.
markg
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by markg »

Worth a check as it happened to mine, the rubber grommit on the overflow pipe was pretty rotten and the overflow pipe dropped down in the coolant tank so that it was in the coolant and it blew coolant out when hot.
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

Mine has a home made tank and its always dropped a bit out when I turned it off but fan kicks on as normal think it might just have a little too much in,
Busa fan switch failed and that was bubbling over on a ride out so bridged two wires over so fan ran all the time on way home,
Just run bike on tick over for a few mins until up to temp and see if fan kicks on if not then it's the fan switch, around 30 quid I think
The Dangerous One
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

From memory a particular Subaru fan switch will kick the fan in a few degrees earlier. Check out a search.....the info is on the forum somewhere
AKA Bald headed b'stard