Thundercat paint

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
johnfromcalne
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Thundercat paint

Post by johnfromcalne »

Hi all,
I have a '98 Thundercat, blue/black, and although I can get the black in a touchup on ebay I cannot get the blue, alledgedly I have to go to Yamaha.
Is this right?
Also the black paint on the wheels is falling off and I want to respray them.Any recommendations as to best aerosol spray? Ie Halfords?
Also, the decals on the tank are laquered but not the fairings. Is it worth laquering them?
Many thanks
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The blue might be available from RS paints. They had the pearl white I needed available in several different formats. They aint the cheapest place for paint but their service is good and they are free with advice

As for the wheel paint, i'd say most car based paints are OK. its mostly down to the prep and making sure the surface is cleaned prior to application. Make sure the work area is warm...it'll help the paint spread and prevent blooming to leave a better finish (if you're going for aerosols) Alt use anti bloom thinners if using a gun....
AKA Bald headed b'stard
johnfromcalne
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by johnfromcalne »

Many thanks Stig, they do have the right colours 😃
Classic Motorcycle Mechanics has a piece on the Thundercat this month, out today.
johnfromcalne
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by johnfromcalne »

I meant Thunderace sorry
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

johnfromcalne wrote:I meant Thunderace sorry
I'm glad you said that, as I was certain the 'Cat never came in blue/black.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz