camchain slight rattle on 89 Exup 1000

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rexeriot
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

camchain slight rattle on 89 Exup 1000

Post by rexeriot »

Hi Exup gods. Have noticed that a couple of times the timing chain has rattled for a few seconds on start up and then fine. Guess it's the tensioner sticking. Is there any probs with these or mods? Or is it simply a time to replace. Thanks chaps.
I always stick to the speed limits. Its just that the ones in our area they seem to have missed all the " 0's " off the end.
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Re: camchain slight rattle on 89 Exup 1000

Post by roadrunner »

rexeriot wrote:Hi Exup gods. Have noticed that a couple of times the timing chain has rattled for a few seconds on start up and then fine. Guess it's the tensioner sticking. Is there any probs with these or mods? Or is it simply a time to replace. Thanks chaps.
I seem to remember that the tensioner has a ratchet system that holds the tensioner pad against the chain. The tension is applied by oil pressure and the ratchet thing holds the chain in place after the engine is stopped. You may have a worn, stuck or "gummed up" ratchet assembly, hence the slight rattle on start up, until the oil pressure builds up and it re tensions the chain. Hope this helps......
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Re: camchain slight rattle on 89 Exup 1000

Post by roadrunner »

roadrunner wrote:
rexeriot wrote:Hi Exup gods. Have noticed that a couple of times the timing chain has rattled for a few seconds on start up and then fine. Guess it's the tensioner sticking. Is there any probs with these or mods? Or is it simply a time to replace. Thanks chaps.
I seem to remember that the tensioner has a ratchet system that holds the tensioner pad against the chain. The tension is applied by oil pressure and the ratchet thing holds the chain in place after the engine is stopped. You may have a worn, stuck or "gummed up" ratchet assembly, hence the slight rattle on start up, until the oil pressure builds up and it re tensions the chain. Hope this helps......
Ooops! I've just looked at the workshop manual and I got it wrong (it's my age you know :rolleyes: ) The tensioner is spring loaded only and doesn't seem to use oil pressure at all. The tensioner can be easily be removed, dismantled, checked and cleaned etc. It must be re set before refitting though..... sorry about that :rolleyes:
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

It's easy to get sensitive about odd noises and stuff.
My Foxeye had 47000 miles when I sold it. No camchain probs. Valve clearnces OK till 35000 miles. Original brake disks and clutch.
Only stuff that ever needed changing were brake pads, chain and sprockets. C&S lasted 20000 miles with regular lubrication.
Keep on keepin' on.