Inletvalve clearance loss

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
svenD
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Inletvalve clearance loss

Post by svenD »

hello on the board!
Everyone knows the additives used in cars from the 70ies to protekt their valves from the effects of modern petrol,but what about using it in the FZRs to prolong valve life.
Any idears on this anyone?
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

Don't bother, all Japanese bikes since time began have valve seats for unleaded petrol so totally unessasary .
iv only had bikes for 40 years , what do i know ???????
svenD
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by svenD »

faststeve wrote:Don't bother, all Japanese bikes since time began have valve seats for unleaded petrol so totally unessasary .
true enough except the inlets on 1000ccFZRs seem to suffer undue wear and tear and I was thinking about using some additive to perhaps prolong the inlet "valve clearance life". :question:
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

I would just make sure the valves are shimmed properly and don't worry about it, my exup engine has over 50000 miles on it, i had it apart at about 42000 to fix the starter clutch and apart from checking everything, good clean up, valve stem seals and lapping the valves in while I had it to bits the head was fine, didn't notice any valve regression, still goes like a bomb, iv got my yzf750 engine apart at the mo for Valve stem seals and a refresh, it's got 26000 on it and after a clean up the head looks as good as new so I wouldn't worry for a moment
iv only had bikes for 40 years , what do i know ???????