Iridium spark plugs

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Iridium spark plugs

Post by Realitybites »

Quick question, does anyone use Iridium plugs and if so was there a big difference in either longevity, reliability or spark?

From what I can see NGK says the DPR8EIX-9 Iridium, or the DP8EA-9, just wondering if the iridium are worth it.

Cheers!
Brit living in the U.S

"You can lead a horse to water, but you're not bringin' that dog in 'er mate"
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I've not tried them in the bike but a few years back I ran a Renault 5 GT turbo on splitfire plugs. It made the car run alot smoother, improved efficiency, they lasted longer than the OEM recommended plugs and they were cheaper :nod:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

No difference at all, waste of cash, unless your doing massive mileages, go with NGK DP8EA 9 projected nose plugs, better running and cheap, iridium don't wear out as quick but how often do you really change plugs, ?? they will not make it faster / wheelie / sound like a moto gp bike or save fuel, in fact from experience I'm not even sure they run as well as standard in the exup,
iv only had bikes for 40 years , what do i know ???????
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

Great! thanks, so iridium coated snake oil then.
Brit living in the U.S

"You can lead a horse to water, but you're not bringin' that dog in 'er mate"
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

I wouldn't call them snake oil, they are good but only for long life / high mileage, it's got to be a bit of a myth that performance will be better with them, put new plugs in anything and it will obviously seem better regardless of what they are, mine has the DP8EA 9 and never have any worries at all, I
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

My NGK catalogue suggests the DR8ES-L as a standard plug, the DR8EVX as a platinum or the DR8EIX as the Iridium plug for the 89-93 Rxups. Go installing a longer reach plug & you might go hitting the piston at high engine revs.

I tried a Splitfire plug in my XR400, as recommended by the rep at a bike show...& it caused severe running problems. Since reinstalling an original spec NGK plug i've never had a problem.

But in my KTM enduro 450 i've been using an Iridium plug for a few hundred miles now & it gives better throttle response & better mileage. But then this is a competition machine & I don't mind spending a few extra spondulies.

(Got Iridium plugs in the R1 as well :nod: )
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Killawife
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Killawife »

I've used iridium plugs in my YZF 750 and in a volvo I'm driving now. I've noticed no difference whatsoever compared to regular plugs. They should last at least five times longer though.
Pitbull
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Pitbull »

I've use them in my bike,

By what I understand they are heated better during the winter, so you don't need the choke when starting the bike in the mornings,
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

With regard to hitting the piston with projector plugs, they don't, I belive the us spec exup use them as standard,
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

I used them in my Exup and found that it started a lot easier with them.