Engine in bits

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
DaddyA
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Engine in bits

Post by DaddyA »

Evening fellas, not as bad as it sounds. It's in bits by choice not catastrophic failure (luckily).

I'm investigating low compression on 1 cylinder so decided take it apart. I need some new rings on 1 pot, using oem for base, and the 2 head gaskets.

I've decided to take all the valves out to check and lap back in before setting the clearances but I suspect I'll have to do the oil stem seals as well. Should I go genuine or will the fleabay ones suffice? Has anyone used them before?

And one final question, is there anything else I should check / change while it in a million bits?

Cheers in advance. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
1996 YZF750R
1995 FZR1000RU
1993 ZZR600
Mk 5 Golf GT TDI
Haynes Roadster
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

The ebay stem seals are fine, used them on a few engines now without problems.

There are two oil spray jets that sit above the crank, I would pull these and check them for oil flow, they help to lubricate and cool the barrels.

Check the rubber o rings at the base of each barrel as well, make sure to solvent check your valves once you have lapped them.

Good luck, top ends are fun :D much better than bottom ends.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

When I did mine last year I played it safe and used all Yam items.
I know you pay through the nose for them but at least you have piece of mind that it's as good as it left the factory.
Just make sure you don't mix the inlet valves up - the middle one is a different length to the two either side of it.
I would also renew the large O-rings at the base of each cylinder (as Banner pointed out).
Good luck! :D
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
DaddyA
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by DaddyA »

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

I was going to replace the seals as a matter of course, just raised the question for the stem seals due to the amount of them. I will probably go with the bay and hope. But if you have had no issues - I'm sure they be fine.

Quick question wrt parts numbers - just been perusing the bay as you do and notice similar gaskets for yzf/fzr/thunderace with the same last digits just with a different number/letter configuration at the beginning? Is this referring to the model and is it the same part? Ie yzf 3fv-11182 THunderace 2gh-11182

Probably a daft question but thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers again
1996 YZF750R
1995 FZR1000RU
1993 ZZR600
Mk 5 Golf GT TDI
Haynes Roadster