Don't want to start a fight...but....

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

The vote also seems like it was rigged.
Loads of videos doing the rounds on the net showing counters swapping piles of yes votes onto the no votes pile.
Also one video shows piles of ballot papers on a table marked NO but when you look at the ballot papers sitting on it they are clearly marked YES.
Videos of ballot boxes being tipped onto tables and the ballot papers are already banded up.
Not right but we will have to live with it.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

N here's me thinking he had bought a Fireblade :D

My view was wait till the UK drops outta EU then kick the English n other johnny foreigners into touch. :nod:
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

itsnotagenesis wrote:The vote also seems like it was rigged.
Loads of videos doing the rounds on the net showing counters swapping piles of yes votes onto the no votes pile.
Also one video shows piles of ballot papers on a table marked NO but when you look at the ballot papers sitting on it they are clearly marked YES.
Videos of ballot boxes being tipped onto tables and the ballot papers are already banded up.
Not right but we will have to live with it.
You are taking video footage that's got no context, and applying your own views to put that video into context.

The table with no on it was a pre sorting area in Dundee where the no votes would eventually go, there was no order to the ballots, they had simply been loosely bound after coming out of the boxes - this was even discussed from the official yes Dundee twitter feed, with people who were actually there, observing the process.

You can make up conspiracy theories to backup any hypothesis as most of these conspiracist are impossible to prove either way, accept the vote and get on with your life, it's harder to just accept the truth.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Sorry this is not necessarily my opinion but some things do not seem right.
I agree that things can be taken out of context and only seeing a small clip can make things look different than they actually are.
To me the counting stations seemed a mess, too many people hanging around not really doing anything.
One video that I was talking about though you could see the woman cutting the security tags from the box, reaching in and lifting out a bundle of neatly stacked ballot papers with a band around them. How did these get into a neat bundle inside a secure ballot box?
I hate conspiracy theories and I am not trying to make out that this is what it is. I think the outcome is unfortunately the correct one but I do think mistakes have been made.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

Shitty ipad just wiped my reply.

Basically you do have lots of people hanging about, candidates, their partners and party members, the press, local councillors, dignitaries, staff members of the building.

In a nutshell there are many checks and balances with vote counting, the boxes are opened, the votes are unfolded and placed face down and counted to make sure that the number of physical votes corresponds with that cast in the polling stations. The votes are then upturned and divided for counting. If I get 100 ballots I sort then into yes and no, and get 40 no, I then make a note of it and give my ballots to a random other person who has also finished their counting. I count theirs and they count mine, you make sure that your numbers both match, you then hand them to a person who keeps the ballot slips and makes a record of the number of ballots for yes and no that have been deposited. They then tally up and hand the number to their supervisor, their supervisor is the only one who has the record of how many ballot slips there should be compared to how many have been returned.

Once all that's done the vote is confirmed. The chance that one person could make a massive difference is basically zero.

My missus has counted votes for Coventry local and European elections so she knows the general process, and it won't be all that different for the Scottish elections.

In coventrys last local elections there were 212,000 votes cast, these were checked by about 250 people, so only 850 votes per person...and it still took over 7 hours!
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

I spoke to a friend who has also worked a lot on elections and he explained the ballot box that was security tagged but banded inside.
Basically he said that would have been the postal votes that would have been sorted through up to 2 weeks beforehand and then sealed in a box until the 18th.
As you say most things can be taken out of context and sometimes needs explained.
Its a shame that not all people registered to vote voted, it would be interesting to see what the whole country felt.