Gear change problems

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
mackyd
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Gear change problems

Post by mackyd »

Hi there folks got the bike on the road last week and having trouble changing gear, occasionally it goes into gear first time but 90% of the time its taking 3 or 4 attempts and finding neutral when the engine is running is virtually impossible. Have fitted reservoir and slave repair kits. Took the clutch to bits today and everything looks fine apart from the clutch boss Image

apart from the wear marks for the clutch plates there are a pair of small dents on the boss, there are another 2 pairs like this. could this be my problem or is it more likely something else. Any help much appreciated.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

chain may be too tight or oil wrong grade

alternatively, the gear selector may not be lined up with the dot on its locating shaft :question:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

this may sound like a silly reply but check for play on your gear selector pedal there is a bush inside the ball of the leaver that might have worn out

see pic

if you have a rear paddock stand start the bike up, and see how much movement you are getting at number 10 on diagram
when you push down the gear change lever it might be that the pedal is moving but its not turning the shift shaft enough
mackyd
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by mackyd »

Just an update on the clutch. After a lot more googling decide to file all the dents of the clutch boss and basket which were quite deep, tended to be deeper on one side of the finger than the other. Also removed the anti chatter ring or whatever it is called from the middle of the clutch pack, this was done by yamaha on the 93 onwards RU although the middle clutch plate is slightly different. Just been out for a spin and going into neutral and changing gear perfectly happy days.
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Well done! :)
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I replaced part #10 on Paul's diagram with a part from a GSRXR750L which is slightly longer & gives a more positive gearchange...& a straight swap.

Luckily I just happened to have this part lying around from a scrapped bike, but it's the sort of part which ends up on the scrap heap as it's a part that hardly anyone needs. so offer the breaker a quid & see what a big differance it makes.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk